Hello from Vancouver BC

RoySin

I got my WSM a few weeks back but I've been visiting this forum for a long time now and love everything about it.
I've been thinking of doing a Hawaiian style luau on the WSM. And I'm wondering if anyone has tried this or would have any suggestions. I'm thinking I would have to do the cook at a higher temperature maybe without the water pan. Of course I won't be digging a big hole and putting the smoker in it but rather since the Hawaiian style cooking is also about the smokey taste I was wondering if it's possible to try something close to that on the WSM. for meat I plan on using lamb shoulder and whole chickens. This might be a complete fail but one never knows it might work?

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Roy. What size WSM do you have? I can't help with your Luau question but knowing the size might help someone who can answer. You might also post the question on the Barbecuing forum - just below this one.

Thanks for the welcome Lew. I have a 22.5inch WSM. I've only used it a few times but the thought of attempting a luau style cook has crossed my mind many times. It was the main reason for buying a smokey mountain actually. I was born in Fiji and there they call the cooking under ground method LOVU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk29Z3Mva2g
While the original way to do it is to dig a pit and start a fire and let the rocks get super hot before putting your meat and fish and whatever else before covering it all with soil - it's not possible to have a huge fire in the city without the fire department showing up :)
I think the wsm might make it possible I'm planning on trying on Saturday.

Since no real experts have chimed in I'll give you some thoughts after watching the video. I suspect that the smoke flavor comes from the fronds they cover the rocks with. With Chicken and Lamb I think a lot of folks prefer fruit wood and not a lot. If I remove the water pan on my 22.5 and put a full chimney of lit coals on top of unlit charcoal in the basket I get a temp of over 400° and that's good for getting the chicken skin well cooked. I've never done lamb but I understand that a temp higher than normal smoking temps is a good thing. It sounds like a high heat cook to me and the 22.5, especially a new one, will flat get the temp up there for you. I suspect that the chicken may coo faster than the lamb. Are you thinking of wrapping the meat like they did in the video. If you monitor meat temp you WILL pull this off. Good luck.

thanks for the tip Lew, much appreciated. Yes, I'm planning on wrapping the lamb or I'm worried it might get dried out. I was also thinking to put in the chicken about half way in to the cook or like you said it will cook faster. I've never tried this but do you think sand or lava rocks in the pan instead of water would help hold a higher temp?

Welcome RoySin. Best of luck with your cook. If your looking for higher temps, nothing in the water pan will do that.

Hi Lew, the cook worked out great. I wish I had some pictures to share of the cook but to tell you the truth I was a bit like a chicken without its head lol. I was just too busy making sure it turns out well to really enjoy the cook ( it being my first large smoke and new style). But everything turned out well and the food was enjoyed by all, including myself. So, I think my next one will be much more relaxing and I'll be sure to take pictures for all the members. Hopefully it will encourage some members to give it a try too.

35628950224_0451ca7c86_o.jpg
[/url]received_10154888165438543 by fjgrill master, on Flickr[/IMG]
Lamb and Chick
36326790481_b58a9d419c_o.jpg
[/url]received_10154888167098543 by fjgrill master, on Flickr[/IMG]
Next time I'll post better pictures.

Last edited:

Back