Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pastrami Question

Dan... Have you tried Amazon ?
    KCBS, SCA, Operation BBQ Relief

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bass View Post
    Dan... Have you tried Amazon ?
    Yes sir! I saw it was available on Amazon. I was trying to avoid buying MTQ because I already have Pink Curing Salt #1 on hand at home. It's just me and my wife, so I won't be doing that much curing. Especially now that I have 6 lbs. of bacon in the freezer.
    18" Weber Kettle, 22" Weber Kettle, and new family member 18" Weber Smokey Mountain, all fueled by

TVWBB Gold Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    This is my adaptation of Chris's dry cure, based on tenderquick roughly 80%salt. 20% cure. and a 6.5 lb flat. I don't like using teaspoons when it comes to cure. I calculate 7.36g but. 6 grams is 1 teaspoon and 8 grams is 1 1/3. Rounding up a little will be ok. You are still well under 200 ppm which is safe, especially for a solid piece of meat. I'm also assuming the granules of the salt in tenderquick are more akin to table salt and white sugar. I've never tried this out, but it's as close as I can come up with.

1 1/4 teaspoon cure #1
    3 Tablespoons Table Salt
    1 Tablespoon white sugar
    1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
    1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper 2 Tablespoons granulated garlic powder
    2 Tablespoons ground coriander
    Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Makes enough cure for one brisket flat.
    Last edited by Dustin Dorsey; 08-05-2017 at 12:18 AM.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Dorsey View Post
    This is my adaptation of Chris's dry cure, based on tenderquick roughly 80%salt. 20% cure. and a 6.5 lb flat. I don't like using teaspoons when it comes to cure. I calculate 7.36g but. 6 grams is 1 teaspoon and 8 grams is 1 1/4. Rounding up a little will be ok. You are still well under 200 ppm which is safe, especially for a solid piece of meat. I'm also assuming the granules of the salt in tenderquick are more akin to table salt and white sugar. I've never tried this out, but it's as close as I can come up with.

1 1/4 teaspoon cure #1
    3 Tablespoons Table Salt
    1 Tablespoon white sugar
    1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper 2 Tablespoons granulated garlic powder
    Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Makes enough cure for one brisket flat.
    Man, Dustin, you did some work!!!!! Thank you!! I will try this in the near future.
    18" Weber Kettle, 22" Weber Kettle, and new family member 18" Weber Smokey Mountain, all fueled by

I'll probably wind up tweaking this as far as sugar and salt.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Dorsey View Post
    I'll probably wind up tweaking this as far as sugar and salt.
    Which way...more or less sugar or more or less salt?

In this case slightly less sugar and salt if you account for the salt in the cure.
    Last edited by Dustin Dorsey; 08-05-2017 at 12:39 AM.

In this case slightly less sugar and salt if you account for the salt in the cure. The sugar would be about a teaspoon less and the salt probably just a smidge. My recipe only accounts for the sodium nitrite in the recipe, not the nitrate and is based on a 156 ppm sodium nitrite level. Tenderquick appears to be 79% salt, 20% sugar .5% sodium nitrite and .5% sodium nitrate. Cure #1 is 93.75% salt and 6.25% sodium nitrite. I did find a recipe similar to Chris's on the Chef Steps site using a dry cure base on cure#1. He used about twice the cure that I did probably based on a higher ppm which you can do. If you were going to do a close approximate of the recipe you could use cure#2 but I doubt you want to go there. Mine will work. You are going for that pink color and cure flavor. You aren't necessarily looking to preserve the meat for a long time or cold smoke it.

This is I think a little closer. I bumped up the cure a little bit and adjusted the sugar and salt down a little.
    The USDA allows up to 625 ppm for a dry cure on solid meat, such as ham or what have you including pastrami. The really are no USDA minumums. 200 will get the job done. I typically calculate with 156 but that's because it's the maximum amount for sausage. Here I'm using 200. I'm assuming 1 teaspoon of cure is about 6g. This will put you at slightly less than 200ppm for a 6.5 lb flat.

1 1/2 teaspoon cure #1
    2 1/2 Tablespoons Table Salt
    2 Teaspoons white sugar
    1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
    2 Tablespoons granulated garlic powder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12