First overnight smoke coming up...

steveD

TVWBB Fan
I offered to smoke some meat for an upcoming family get together and I just found out that I will be smoking 2 pork shoulders. That's great. I also just found that they want the food to be ready at NOON! And we're going to be going to the races the night before so I likely won't be getting home until close to midnight, so I suppose it looks like it is going to be my first all-nighter. My wife recently gave me a Tip Top Temp, but I haven't had an opportunity to play around with it yet, and likely won't be able to until the day of the actual cook. Can anyone offer thoughts on how long it will take an 18" WSM to get up to temp (250*) using the TTT? And how many coals should I light to start off?

Also, how will the changes in ambient temperature overnight affect the grill temperature?

Read the instructions from TTT. Are you using a kettle or WSM? If it's a kettle, I'd probably go sixty briquettes or do a snake set up, then if it's done before the end of the snake, your ready for phase two!
Sorry, just re read your post, I've not used the TTT on a WSM, but, I'd say set it up with a half full ring of coal and drop six lit briquettes in the center, close it up and set the differential on the TTT for temp at set up then readjust for ambient temperature in the morning.
You have to remember that the TTT works with all vents closed on a kettle by design, the WSM is a bit "tighter", I might crack one bottom vent just a tiny crack.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Read the instructions from TTT. Are you using a kettle or WSM? If it's a kettle, I'd probably go sixty briquettes or do a snake set up, then if it's done before the end of the snake, your ready for phase two!
Sorry, just re read your post, I've not used the TTT on a WSM, but, I'd say set it up with a half full ring of coal and drop six lit briquettes in the center, close it up and set the differential on the TTT for temp at set up then readjust for ambient temperature in the morning.
You have to remember that the TTT works with all vents closed on a kettle by design, the WSM is a bit "tighter", I might crack one bottom vent just a tiny crack.
Good luck!

I know that the TTT is designed to operate with all vents closed on a kettle, but everything that I've read online suggests that people need to have the vent cracked open. The instructions actually even say that you may need to open the bottom vent a little bit. I assume with a WSM I'll need to crack at least one, maybe two of the vents open. Which is why I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with using it.

My advice, as an owner of a TTT, a kettle, and a WSM:

Just use the WSM, set the vents correctly and you don't need to baby sit it, and no need to use the TTT. Don't use a water pan (or at least, don't fill it up with water). With the vents set correctly it'll hold a steady enough temp all night. Do as much prep work as you can before going to the races, so when you get home and you can fire it up and get the meat on as fast as possible so you can go to bed.

If you've got a remote thermometer with alarms, use it! That way you can go to bed, and if the temp goes too high or too low it'll wake you up.

My advice, as an owner of a TTT, a kettle, and a WSM:

Just use the WSM, set the vents correctly and you don't need to baby sit it, and no need to use the TTT. Don't use a water pan (or at least, don't fill it up with water). With the vents set correctly it'll hold a steady enough temp all night. Do as much prep work as you can before going to the races, so when you get home and you can fire it up and get the meat on as fast as possible so you can go to bed.

If you've got a remote thermometer with alarms, use it! That way you can go to bed, and if the temp goes too high or too low it'll wake you up.

I've only used my WSM a few times and while my inclination has been that it will hold temp well enough I am still a bit worried about leaving it smoking while I go to sleep. I was thinking that the TTT might help give me a bit more peace of mind, in addition to wanting to play with the new gadget for the first time. I do have a Maverick with alarms, but I am not sure that it will be loud enough to wake me up.

If I might... you may want to reassess your cooking time and temperature carefully.

If one assumes pork shoulders in the 8-9 pound range each,
and you will be just starting the coals at Midnight,
and you need the meat to be ready at Noon,
and you would like to rest the meat before serving... then 250 degree may be not hot enough.

Dustin makes a good point, butts are easily the most forgiving things to smoke. Just set everything up before the races, enjoy yourself and light it up when you get home. Close it up set your vents and go to bed. If you have an itch to use the TTT I would only crack ONE bottom vent a small amount.
I understand about the nervousness and leaving the thing out there all alone in the dark but, it will be fine!
And yes, no water!

Don't worry, always run with an empty foiled pan, never water. I may even try this run with no pan at all. And I am a bit concerned with the time as well, but I figure I can always bump it up when I foil in the morning.

If I might... you may want to reassess your cooking time and temperature carefully.

If one assumes pork shoulders in the 8-9 pound range each,
and you will be just starting the coals at Midnight,
and you need the meat to be ready at Noon,
and you would like to rest the meat before serving... then 250 degree may be not hot enough.

Good advice. An eight pound butt takes about 13-14 hours at 250 degrees. That will give you zero rest time.

OK guys, now I'm,just going to have to bang out a butt this weekend! Or maybe start some bacon. Think I'll wait for cooler weather for bacon.

New to this awesome world of kettle smoking, so I'd like some clarification.. How come no water in the pan?

New to this awesome world of kettle smoking, so I'd like some clarification.. How come no water in the pan?
There is no need for water in the pan. If you are using an automatic temperature control (like the TTT, Stoker, etc.) then you don't need the water to help dampen fluctuations in temperature. (Pun intended). Eliminating water saves charcoal since you aren't burning fuel to boil water all during the cook. And, as far as I know, the idea that water in the pan keeps the meat moist is a fallacy. Plus, no water equals no greasy water to have to deal with after the cook is over. Now, if you use water and like it, and have good results using water, then by all means continue to use it. But I haven't had water in my WSM in about 15 years and I don't miss it at all.

I don't have any airflow modifier (yet) but, I've never run water in my WSM, no problems.
My birthday is coming soon but, I doubt anyone will get me one, I will spend birthday money on it, maybe.

There is no need for water in the pan. If you are using an automatic temperature control (like the TTT, Stoker, etc.) then you don't need the water to help dampen fluctuations in temperature. (Pun intended). Eliminating water saves charcoal since you aren't burning fuel to boil water all during the cook. And, as far as I know, the idea that water in the pan keeps the meat moist is a fallacy. Plus, no water equals no greasy water to have to deal with after the cook is over. Now, if you use water and like it, and have good results using water, then by all means continue to use it. But I haven't had water in my WSM in about 15 years and I don't miss it at all.

Makes total sense. I'm just trying to act like a sponge and suck up as much info as possible at this point. A lot of vids on YouTube show people using it but if it doesn't benefit the cook, no point in adding an extra step or two.

I think Larry D. the right outlook and should the birthday gnomes bring me a "flow master" I will be happy but, if it doesn't appear, I will just continue with my old school method, I'll still eat well!

Not having a WSM yet (but thinking about grabbing one), still curious - wouldn't the meat come up much more dry when running the smoker without a water pan? Or you substitute this moisture from the pan with something else, spritzing the meat in every hour, basting it or such?

Back