Whole beef tenderloin or filet mignon steaks?

Chris Barry

TVWBB Member
Need some advice. I'm having a few people over on Saturday (6 people total), and beef tenderloin is on a good sale at my grocer. In the past, I've cut the chain on the tenderloin, and cut 8-10 filet mignon steaks, which I then grilled. Delicious.

But I also have seen people cook the whole tenderloin, then slice it after it is cooked. I have a WSM, so thought about doing this vs cooking the filet steaks on my Performer.

Has anyone done both? Which do you like better?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

I've done both and they are equally fabulous! The advantage in doing the whole is that it's a put it on and don't worry project. If you do steaks, you need to tend them once.
So, in my mind it's a draw. I'd do it whole for presentation. But, then there's the whole crust advantage to individual steaks. Then there's The "Who wants it how?" issue, the up side is the smaller end is going to be less rare than the "head end" so, it will self "regulate", then the individuals can be timed out as needed.
I guess there's no clear answer from the state of confusion where I reside.

+1 to Timothy
If our company likes it rare the whole is a winner, if they like crust do steaks.
And as Timothy say grilling it whole is much more laid back.

btw from now I do all my steaks at the homemade vortex, incredible crust

Great thoughts! I am leaning towards doing it whole. 1 attendee likes well-done, so I can cut hers from the thin end. For crust, thinking of a little sear over direct heat at the end of the smoke.

Do people cut the tenderloin's chain off prior to smoking, or smoke it with the chain on? Also, should I tie it up with kitchen twine?

Thanks everyone!

I'm not so sure I'd use much smoke at all, actually I'd go hot as blazes indirect (chain off) maybe fold the small end slicing partway through to make the "small end" a little more uniform and, yes gently tie it.
If you're going to slice and sear for final product, there is where the two basket indirect set up really shows what for! You've basically reverse seared the whole thing, starting with the sides instead of, the "faces". Send pictures!

Both are good. Which is preferred is up to you. There will be a taste and texture difference even though it's the same meat, kind of like how there is a distinct difference between a ribeye and sliced prime rib.

I wouldn't tie up the tail in this case as its makes some bits more well done and others not.
I usually sear first and then indirect and mop it with a thin sauce a couple of times and stop 15 min before its going of. Be sure to check temp and remove it about 5 celcius (about 10 F) before and let it rest under loose foil for at least 10 min

It turned out GREAT! I cooked the whole tenderloin (chain removed- saved to grind for burgers the next day) on the WSM to 130 internal. I reverse seared it on the coals at the end, then let it rest for 25-20 minutes before slicing. "Best steak ever" per my family. I'll try to get a photo up, but I couldn't get it to upload from my cell phone.

Back