AC condensation drip line - how much discharge is normal?

Erik Tracy

TVWBB Pro
We have our AC compressor outside but the central unit is upstairs in the attic crawl space with the condensation drain line exiting the house on the 2 story.

I dunno, this summer is the first time I recall seeing the drain line put out water like a bilge pump in a leaky boat.

Just how much water is 'normal'?

Granted, we've had a very humid summer here in San Diego, so I'd expect some water.

And the exit is a 90' PVC turn that drops right down over the kitchen window.

I'm thinking at least put another turn and a short run of pipe so the 'waterfall' is past the window.

Even I've noticed a great increase in our drain now that the monsoons are here. Humidity at 65% vs. normal of about 12%.
We rented a condo in the summer in Florida and I saw this water running out of a pipe like a hose was turned on high. Called the office and they sent a technician over, he just laughed and told me it was from the A/C in the condo and it was normal.

Here in the south, AC condensation runs pretty heavy. Our friend's front porch window unit collects condensation in five gallon buckets - so much that they have to empty the buckets several times a week.

Called my usual AC Repair guy who knows about our unit.

He said our primary drain line must be clogged - the one to the outside of the house is the secondary.

So, that explains why we are just now noticing the 'waterfall'.

Time to schedule a visit.

Yep, That is a backup line. The tray under your attic unit probably has rust too. I fixed mine myself, tried to blow out the line but that didn't work. The pea trap was clogged so I cut it out and added a new one with T's on each side so I could blow it out and also pour some bleach through it every once in a while. Total cost was about $7 and the guy that does the twice a year services gave me a thumbs up on my work.

Sounds pretty normal to me this time of year. Our roof top dumps directly into the rain gutters and both downspouts are dripping constantly. We're in our third straight day of 112 to 115. Can't wait to see our utility bill.

PS... I definitely would reroute that drip line from over your kitchen window.

As pat stated earlier, you can possibly clean you drain line simply by pouring some bleach into it. I know I have to do that to my system about once a year. Keeps everything flowing perfectly, and a bottle of bleach at the dollar store is a heck of a lot cheaper than a service call...
Good luck,
Tim

As pat stated earlier, you can possibly clean you drain line simply by pouring some bleach into it. I know I have to do that to my system about once a year. Keeps everything flowing perfectly, and a bottle of bleach at the dollar store is a heck of a lot cheaper than a service call...
Good luck,
Tim

Clorox Clean-up works well for fridge condensation trays.

If you haven't had someone out yet, and you know where the primary drain pipe is, you can clean it out pretty easily. You can either go outside to where it leave the house and suck it out with your shop vac or you can take your garden hose and turn it on going up the exit. I don't recommend the latter as your handler is in the attic. Mine's in my garage, so a little water on the floor is no biggie. My unit is sealed, so I don't mess with going into the handler body. If you can open yours, they make a tablet that's for sale at Lowe's or HD that you put in the tray in the bottom of the handler to keep the gunk from building it up and blocking it.

Back