Beer Can Chicken

David P Harrisburg

TVWBB Member
Hello everyone. Have a question on the rotisserie for 22 inch Kettle. Have you ever done Beer Can Chicken? How does it compare to rotisserie chicken?

I've never been impressed with beer can chicken I don't think it adds much to the chicken. Rotisserie chicken on the other hand really comes out moist and with better taste because of the self basting I think.

I agree with Rich, roto chicken is typically better than beer in the rear. If you don't have a roto, then spatchcocked chicken is wonderful too. Cook it to temp indirect and then give it a good sear on both sides. No matter what you do, BBQ chicken is always good

I did beer can chicken and it wasn't near as good as rotisserie or spatchcocked. Roto chicken is my favorite for moisture and taste.

Agree with all the above. I don't even mess with whole chickens anymore. It's just too cheap and easy to get a Costco bird.

My Son's request Beer Can Chicken when they stop on by for a visit. I know there are better ways to do it, but that's what they like so I just go with it:)

Tim

Personally have enjoyed both and my beer can chic has always been a hit. Folks love the "presentation".

I'm going to swing the other direction & vote beer can chicken. Mostly because I've done it that way for years & I guess that's what I'm accustomed to. I've only spun a bird twice & it seemed so... Greasy. Especially the legs & thighs.

I have only done Beer can chicken as I do not have a roto. However, my wife has always loved the taste of the beer can chicken, and has asked for it several times. So I guess my (albeit limited experience) volt would have to go with beer can chicken.
Tim

I've only done two birds on my new rotisserie. Here's my assessment, the roti bird's moisture and tenderness cannot be beat. But, I've had trouble both times getting the skin crispy. The beer can chicken turns out average in terms of moisture and tenderness, but the skin has always turned out nice and crispy. So, until I figure out the skin on the roti, it'll depend on whether crispy skin matters to me.

Dan, how are you setting things up?
I use classic indirect method using a full chimney and drip pan, air dry and dust with salt and pepper. Sometimes I do a compound butter under the skin but, it doesn't seem to make lots of sense when it pretty much all ends up in the drip pan so, sprigs of herbs in the cavity and let it spin!

I would add my .02 but I'm a fence sitter on this one.

I love both. The rotisserie is wonderful, I've had fistfights break out at the dinner table over it ;-)

However, I started on beer can chicken before I had a rotisserie and I've never gotten away from it. Experiment with it, try different beverages, you can use soda pop as well.

Currently I have two old pie tins that I've punched a few small holes in the bottom and several larger holes around the perimeter, hicken goes on the can in the middle of the pan and wet wood chips around it lining the bottom of the pan.

I don't get any complaints about either one.

Thanks for all the replies. I was leaning toward purchase of rotisserie till I made Beer Can Chicken. It had been a while since I made one and it was delicious. Moist and skin was crispy. Used weber recipe. Cooked indirect at 325 for about 1hr and 15 min. Guess I`ll have to do another one and dry it out so I get the ok to purchase a rotisserie. Ha Ha

If you have a WSM, try hanging one in the WSM PBC-style. I prefer it over rotisserie or beer can-style. I've been cooking turkeys that way, too. Awesome skin, moist and juicy flesh.

I was hooked on the rotisserie when I was about 7 years old, just watching it spin chicken or ribs, and I was hooked.
That was on my neighbors open Structo grill. It would be interesting to fit a tempered glass window to a Genesis or
kettle lid just to watch the process.

Back