Master-Touch Lid Bale on a OTG?

Howard Warren

TVWBB Fan
I've been drooling over the thought of buying a Master-Touch to replace my older OTG. I especially like the lid bale; where I grill, finding a place to rest the lid is a major pain in the rump. But the Master-Touch has a problem... it only comes in black! And I'd like to try something different, like copper or green. (I especially like the thought of green, my SO has a BGE and we constantly tease each other about our respective grills.)

I was looking at parts and came across this: http://www.ereplacementparts.com/li...477084.html?osCsid=r5supfh9u0pd267ju9rdbb4at2

Has anybody tried mounting a Master-Touch lid bale on an OTG?

probably one of the more simple projects to do since it's a bolt on. Problem will be finding the right placement of your drill points. Also be aware there is an old version and a new version of the bale. Older (I think pre 2016/17) performers had a smaller bale where the lid was slightly tilted towards the inside of the grill. When i see new performers in store the lid bale is bigger and the lid slides and holds more upright and out of the way.

Garth

EZ enough to do. However.... you really should find a grill that already has the bail so you can take measurements. I really like the new bails as opposed to the older ones. Garth C pointed out the advantages of the new style bails.

The local Home Despot has a Performer on the floor that I can measure. But I've been looking and the only parts kit I can find is for 2013 and earlier.

You do know you can hang the regular lid on the edge of the bowl. I will admit sliding the lid I to bale is easier.

Having 3 Performers and a 22 inch Deluxe Kettle, all with lid bales, let me give you this advice. Make sure to get proper measurements for hole placement. Height of those holes is particularly important as interference with the cooking grate could easily be a major problem. Rotating a grate on the grill when hot, is extremely clumsy when a lid bale is present. Try to find slim 1/4-20 SS nuts for the inside of the bowl, and short bolts so that intrusion into the bowl is minimal. The bale is as handy as a pocket on a shirt, but also as clumsy at times. All of mine are removed. That also makes it easy to adjust where I build a fire for 2 zone cooks. With the bale on, the fire always went on the bale side of the grill.

The bale is as handy as a pocket on a shirt, but also as clumsy at times. All of mine are removed.
I think this may be the most useful reply for my question! Maybe I should just put together a portable stand with a hook and put it next to the grill when I'm grilling!

Does Weber even offer the Slide-Aside anymore? That's what I did on my OTG, and before that I hooked the lid on my side handle, easier then lining it up with the side of the bowl IMO.:)

Tim

Back