Odd question for all of you

JohnAFrailey

I have owned multiple smokers, charcoal, electric, including a 22.5 WSM, now I am content with a 14.5 WSM. My wife, who is gardener extraordinaire and a gourmet cook, wants to smoke homegrown peppers. Seems like a waste of charcoal to fire up the WSM for that. Has
anyone experimented with an alternate heat source such as an electrical element or camp stove with a small cast iron skillet or such to hold smokewood?

I put my peppers on when I smoke meat. I dehydrate them afterwards. I store them intact. I grind them when I need chili powder for chili and such.

EDIT: I made some chili yesterday and crunched (not ground) up a couple of dehydrated chili's and the chili brought (slight) tears to my eyes...and cleared my sinuses.

Last edited:
The 14.5 is a fuel miser & you don't need high temps to smoke peppers.
Build a snake w/ wood chunks on top of it & smoke away.

Like others have mentioned, use a dehydrator to finish them.

Thanks for your thoughts and to Lew, yes, that was my thought. I think my better half is more thinking of just smoked, not dried, for using in pepperad (sic) and oils etc. Thanks. Nice to know this site never changes as far as people willing to share.

I have owned multiple smokers, charcoal, electric, including a 22.5 WSM, now I am content with a 14.5 WSM. My wife, who is gardener extraordinaire and a gourmet cook, wants to smoke homegrown peppers. Seems like a waste of charcoal to fire up the WSM for that. Has
anyone experimented with an alternate heat source such as an electrical element or camp stove with a small cast iron skillet or such to hold smokewood?

To answer your question, I have used an electric hotplate with a cake pan sitting on top to hold wood chips. It works, and it's certainly simple and easy if you can get the temperature you are looking for. I didn't like the flavor as much as just using a low temperature charcoal setup, though.

John, sorry for the late reply. I've been playing around more and more with my Amazin smoke tube using wood pellets. Originally bought to smoke cheeses. Did a chicken on the gasser the other day with the tube and it turned out very nice. Could have been a little smoker but I think it was because I didn't light it off soon enough. Much easier than dragging out the WSM 22. Might be worth a try if you have one. Good luck.

Back