PreHeating using all or just some burners

AndyPeat

I have a Weber e-410. If there's just my wife and myself to cook for is it ok to only preheat using the burners we will cook with?
Sometimes if I'm just grilling a couple of steaks I only need a small area to cook with but the temp will obviously not get to 500 using less than 4 burners? Is it essential to preheat the full grill to get the bars hot enough to sear a steak for example?

Or buy a second, smaller grill :)

I have been cooking on a Q100 for 10 years. Just recently did I pick up a Genesis 1000 to rehab for myself. With my kids grown and gone, the Q100 is my every day grill and the Genesis 1000 is for company and special cooks. The Q100 gets up to 500 degrees in ten minutes and will burn on a 20lb propane tank continuous for days....ask me how I know that.;)

If a Q100 isn't quite big enough, grab a Q200/Q2000.

Last edited:
I have 4 burners and I use the all for pre-heating.

After searing for X minutes and turning it to produce the X grill marks I flip it onto the unused side of the grill, turn it off and finish using indirect cooking.

I like to preheat using all burners so I can burn to ash the residues from the previous cook ...

Thyde: I always leave my grill on high (all burners) for 10-15 minutes after a cook. Then I shut it off and go out and get after it with the brush. Then I let it cool a little while and oil the cooking grates. It is a little less convenient that doing it your way, but it burns off and gets all the grease and stuck on meat off the grates and flavo bars right away. Leaving that stuff on there is what causes the grates and flavo bars to corrode.

I understand, but I use the grill so many times per week that I really don't consider it an issue. Plus, for me, if I have to replace grates every once in a while, I'm not going to cry. It's just a matter of is your time or money more valuable? Depends on the task and the price!

I hear you. I am sure you grill looks a lot better than the ones I get off CL.

Thanks for all the comments folks, I forgot to check the thread and was pleasantly surprised by all the help. Looks like it's unanimous then!
Cheers!

Back