Weber 63039 26" Hinged Cook Grate

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So I ordered the 63039 for my 26" Kettle.

Here is the old grate

4B75A0FD-E59C-468D-8831-1B67AFEF6CDE_zpsqbp7w4co.jpg

Here is the new grate

8F18023E-00AC-4811-A4C1-E1316AF64180_zpsxqjan60r.jpg

Each grate has 40 bars from one end to the other, the old grate is clearly plated it's unknown to me if the new grate is solid SS or if it too is plated. It does feel heavier than the old grate

If there is any difference between the old stock grate and the new 63039 grate, it's not clear to me

New grate appears to be 3/8"

DF9EDFAB-B771-408B-9A6A-48174B59DE9E_zpsytaxxmcz.jpg

As does the old grate

4977C8DF-C110-46A9-9871-532BBBDD676E_zpssffwfgtf.jpg

Bottom line, the old grate needed replacing, and it appears Weber does not make a "Heavy Duty" grate for the 26" the grate they sell as 63039 appears to be no different that the grate that came with the kettle

The new grate does have the dull sheen to it of SS, but hard to tell with pictures. You can check with a magnet, if it is SS it will not stick to it because of the low carbon content. But you have to make sure to not be near a weld as they will contain some carbon. If it is nickle plated steel then it will stick and you could check your old grate with it to verify if it is SS or not. Either way that is a large piece, hope it provides you the support that you need for such a large area!

They sure are proud of them. Before I found the $175 NIB deal I got on my 26er, I had seen a couple of used ones. Both of them needed a new grate. When I saw the cost I passed on them.

The new grate does have the dull sheen to it of SS, but hard to tell with pictures. You can check with a magnet, if it is SS it will not stick to it because of the low carbon content. But you have to make sure to not be near a weld as they will contain some carbon. If it is nickle plated steel then it will stick and you could check your old grate with it to verify if it is SS or not
Good idea Michael. I will do that and report back

Gave my grill grate (CL 26er) the magnet test - it passed - def SS. Should be good for a long time.

Gave my grill grate (CL 26er) the magnet test - it passed - def SS. Should be good for a long time.
As did mine. I just tested both my old and my new grate, and they both passed the magnet test. I'm doing my first cook on my new grate as we speak

Back