how many burgers fit on a 22.5 weber?

Matt H.

TVWBB Super Fan
my boys are turning 5, so we are doing hotdogs and hamburgers for their bday. my patties are 4.5 inches wide. so I figure 16 burgers? I have 48 burgers to grill total and a ton of hotdogs, so that's 4 rounds of cooking. my plan is to put some unlit kingsford down and a full chimney of lit on top. and cook the burgers with the lid on for 4 minutes each side. these are 1/3 pound burgers, but fairly thin patties. I prefer medium burgers, but my wife wants them cooked through. should I put unlit down first or should I replenish halfway through? what do you guys think? any thoughts would be appreciated. :)

I think I've done almost as many but with just one chimney load of coals on one side of the kettle, and like only 6 patties at a time.

I think I've done almost as many but with just one chimney load of coals on one side of the kettle, and like only 6 patties at a time.

yup. ideally I'd just cook to order and do that, but I don't want to spend the entire time grilling. I figure I can always close the vents if it gets too hot.

I don't think I can manage that many patties at once with the likely flare ups and all....

I've had it filled like that before, I just don't remember how many I fit on it. I'm just using briquettes (I usually add some mesquite chunks) so there shouldn't be a ton of flair ups hopefully.

Heat renders fat, fat can flare, heat source like briquettes or not. I'd use a smaller safe zone if you needed it but, if you manage vents well, you can get away with a 2/3 lit area with no problem, I would think.
You can always go with the "stack the cooked ones" into the safe zone too. I picked up a warming rack for that very purpose, it works very well for the hotdog safety net too!
But the short answer is "Never enough!"

If you did it before, then it's all good. Me, I would use an extra Weber, but I have a few.
I used to volunteer to cook at Youth tackle games for my Son, and Timothy's suggestion on " stacking the cooked ones" is a saviour IMO.:cool:
Good luck!

Tim

I'd have two grills going for that cook. When I cook burgers I always had a two zone set-up. I've grown fond of burgers on the griddle and that's the way I have been cooking them lately.

See my avatar for my solution to the "not enough space" theorem. Well, one of them anyway, the warming rack and "stack and save" if you forget to fire the second grill in time.

I like your idea of thin patties, Matt.

Greasy burgers can generate flareups, and thick burgers take longer to cook and can burn before the center gets done.

As for dogs, have you considered a WSM? I think smoker dogs taste better, unless one prefers burnt dogs (such as my family).

Speaking of grilling several dozen burgers I once grilled up a case worth of frozen patties from Sam's Club for my grand kid's birthday party. They weren't worth it. These thin patties produced a lot more grease and actually took longer to cook from frozen (as recommended). And taste wise, they were just blah...

And for that many burgers I prefer to use my Camp Chef propane flat top griddle, tossing balls of ground beef onto it and smashing (smash burgers) them down to patties with a stiff spachula as they grill. For me it's a lot quicker than preparing individual patties beforehand.

Greasy burgers can generate flareups, and thick burgers take longer to cook and can burn before the center gets done.

As for dogs, have you considered a WSM? I think smoker dogs taste better, unless one prefers burnt dogs (such as my family).

That's a great idea. Will implement. Thank you

Speaking of grilling several dozen burgers I once grilled up a case worth of frozen patties from Sam's Club for my grand kid's birthday party. They weren't worth it. These thin patties produced a lot more grease and actually took longer to cook from frozen (as recommended). And taste wise, they were just blah...

And for that many burgers I prefer to use my Camp Chef propane flat top griddle, tossing balls of ground beef onto it and smashing (smash burgers) them down to patties with a stiff spachula as they grill. For me it's a lot quicker than preparing individual patties beforehand.

I'm making my own patties from Costco organic beef. I have a burger press so I can do it the day before. That's a great idea though. Thanks

I usually smoke about 2# of burgers during some smoke sessions. They even taste great cold.

With 48 burgers I'd use 2 grills. One for cooking on high to get grill marks (and half way done) and a second to finish them to people's requests.

So much agreement on the smoked hot dogs.

They really do have a better flavor, in my opinion.

We take hot dog night seriously at my house and I'll go to extra lengths to smoke them, lol.

Went well. Thanks all for the help. Only problem is lots of left over hot dogs and burgers. Ha ha

Back