Deep but subtle smoke flavor

Noel Hartough

Being a fan of Central Texas Brisket- that's what I got the WSM for- I have been obsessive in my quest! Almost everyone I know uses an offset cooker, and they insist, as good as the WSM is, that I will never really get the deep rich flavor in my meats that you get from stick burners.

My only comparison so far has been chicken wings smoked in my cooker vs wings cooked on a real offset- there was a difference in flavor.

As you know, Central Texas Brisket calls mainly for salt and pepper, and the whole packer briskets I have made have been good- but they don't quite have that fire flavor.

I think there are things I can do with the WSM that may help:

1) Instead of overnight cooks- get up *** early for the brisket cook- starting with a combination of oak and hickory on top of lump charcoal. I've noticed when I only have the original few chunks of wood on the coals overnight, the Brisket doesn't have as much deep smoke flavor. Perhaps if I am able to add a chunk or two over the first 5-6 hours of the cook, that will more mimic what would happen in a stick burner.
2) Not use as much water in the water pan- ( I know there is debate about that)

The one thing I've learned is that the WSM is forgiving in a way that stick burners are not- and I can imagine that if I bought a stick burner that I would ruin some meat for a while until learning it.

Anyone else have any tips?

I've cooked exactly 2, briskets on my WSM, ..and I discovered, I really don't care that much for brisket, Heresy! I know. But they came out about as good as the Average Texas Briskets I've had. My daughter is in Fort Worth.
That said, I do love ribs, pork and beef and they come out very nice indeed on the WSM. I get plenty of smoke flavor, a beautiful smoke ring, good bark, and juicy tender meats.
I use plain Jane, Kingsford blue bag, cheap on sale charcoal. 4-6 fist sized wood chunks,Pre started hot coals on the side burner of the propane grill, dumped in the center of the charcoal basket. about a gallon or less hot water in the water pan. Meat is dry brined over night, wet with water and dry rubbed, and put on the rack cold while the Temperature is coming up. Final temp is about 250, sometimes a little more. That's it. I don't open the top to check till at least 3 hours.

Now if I was going to do briskets, I wouldn't change much, once it gets to about 160, and you wrap, I'd just put it in a pan and let it continue in the smoker till the temps start dropping ,and or chuck it in the oven to finish, more heresy! your not going to get anymore smoke anyway, and you don't need to see how many hours your charcoal will last, or how to add more. Anyway, that's what I do, Everyone has there own ways and theories, and you'll come up with a way that suits you. :)

I've cooked exactly 2, briskets on my WSM, ..and I discovered, I really don't care that much for brisket, Heresy! I know. But they came out about as good as the Average Texas Briskets I've had. My daughter is in Fort Worth.
That said, I do love ribs, pork and beef and they come out very nice indeed on the WSM. I get plenty of smoke flavor, a beautiful smoke ring, good bark, and juicy tender meats.
I use plain Jane, Kingsford blue bag, cheap on sale charcoal. 4-6 fist sized wood chunks,Pre started hot coals on the side burner of the propane grill, dumped in the center of the charcoal basket. about a gallon or less hot water in the water pan. Meat is dry brined over night, wet with water and dry rubbed, and put on the rack cold while the Temperature is coming up. Final temp is about 250, sometimes a little more. That's it. I don't open the top to check till at least 3 hours.

Now if I was going to do briskets, I wouldn't change much, once it gets to about 160, and you wrap, I'd just put it in a pan and let it continue in the smoker till the temps start dropping ,and or chuck it in the oven to finish, more heresy! your not going to get anymore smoke anyway, and you don't need to see how many hours your charcoal will last, or how to add more. Anyway, that's what I do, Everyone has there own ways and theories, and you'll come up with a way that suits you. :)

Thanks- I am not a huge pork fan which is also heresy!

The next brisket I try will rubbed down well the night before and placed in garage refrigerator that I'll run as cold as I dare so it doesn't freeze the packer....but gets it dang near that point.

I'm going to toss it in the WSM directly from that fridge and see if there is improved smoke flavor.

I cooked a pair of pork shoulder butts last weekend on my KJ. I used the same method and the smoke flavor was really nice.

Noel, how fresh is your smoke wood? Wood chunks purchased from retail stores can have less aroma than wood purchased locally, or from specialty wood suppliers. Looks like you're living in the panhandle, do you have access to locally-harvested hickory and oak?

Might be a good idea to bury a few wood chunks under you charcoal too. Lump charcoal may help with aroma as well.

Last edited:
You kind of lost me at deep...but subtle. :rolleyes:

My next comment MAY get me banned from this site: If you inject add a drop or two of Liquid Smoke (only if it's the 100% LS, no additives) to the injection mix to get the flavor in there.

Back