Burnt ends question.

SJHill

I have an upcoming party I was asked to smoke something for, and I was wanting to cook burnt ends. I wasn't sure if I wanted to do regular burnt ends with a point or the pork bell burnt ends everyone has been doing this summer... so I got both haha.

Every recipe I've seen with the pork belly burnt ends calls for cubing it before you smoke it. To help my two meats cook around the same time, I was thinking of cubing the point as well before smoking it.

I know everyone here gets their burnt ends by cookkng the whole packer first or the whole point first, do you think the same results can be achieved by cubing first?

I have an upcoming party I was asked to smoke something for, and I was wanting to cook burnt ends. I wasn't sure if I wanted to do regular burnt ends with a point or the pork bell burnt ends everyone has been doing this summer... so I got both haha. Every recipe I've seen with the pork belly burnt ends calls for cubing it before you smoke it. To help my two meats cook around the same time, I was thinking of cubing the point as well before smoking it. I know everyone here gets their burnt ends by cookkng the whole packer first or the whole point first, do you think the same results can be achieved by cubing first?
I recently did a "burnt end" cook using a pot roast, my number one mistake was I probably didn't give it the full cook it required before cubing it and finishing in BBQ Sauce. I can't help you with a "Point" I've never done a point, except to make Rubens out of it. I would suggest doing a roast instead of a point, for no other reason than cost factor. I'd slice your cook into slices, cook them to temp (note: Beef "burnt" temp is 190-195 and Pork "burnt" temp is 200-205)

So basically I'm suggesting to cut whatever it is you decide to cook into strips until "burnt" temp is achieved, then cube it up for final cook in BBQ sauce. How you get to "burnt" temp with two different types of meat (Beef / Pork) is going to be your challenge.

Good, call Chuck! I agree, the "faux burn ends" are a very economical treat! Make sure to allow enough time for the roast slabs to get to a chewable consistency, I rushed some and had a tired jaw for the next day!

Back