Mosquito control for yards.

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
With the amount of rainfall lately the Fox River has gone beyond flood level in my area. With floods, come floodwater mosquitoes and it's getting pretty bad trying to do any yard work, or any thing outdoors.:mad:
I don't want to use a lawn service company like Mosquito patrol etc as I like to do it myself.
I did a few searches on line for a natural or DIY method and Doctor T's was one that looked good for store bought, and Paul Harveys DIY has been used for 20 plus years with good reviews.<( I'm leaning towards this.)
So, does anyone have any thought's on either of these or recommendations on something else?
TIA.

Tim

Without being familiar with those methods, I've always subscribed to the thought that if you try to attract/eliminate skitters (blue light, zapper, whatever), you may kill what's in your yard BUT you'll attract all the skitters from your neighbours as well.

Just lather on bug juice and adjust (or move inside).

I use Cutters Backyard Bug Control to control mosquitos in my backyard. An application lasts a few weeks. It costs $10 a bottle at Lowe's.

My nephew's wife has a whole slew of natural products she sells on Amazon and Whole Foods. She has a bug spray that's all natural and works like a charm! Pammi is a skeeter magnet, and this stuff works for her!
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01G7L7134/tvwb-20
We also have a huge citronella plant that keeps them at bay for a while. We're also trying to attract bats to our yard to eat the little vampires! No luck. Yet!

We're also trying to attract bats to our yard to eat the little vampires! No luck. Yet!

Been a while since I've seen any bats in this area. Chimney Sweeps seem to be missing too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tim, I've gotten good success from citronella torches and candles. Someone once said that garlic (ingested) is a good deterrent.

Pine-sol and water in a spray bottle works good. Wear dark colored clothes as well, as i read they are attracted to brighter colored clothes.
Good luck,
Tim

Pine-sol and water in a spray bottle works good
I've done the Pine-Sol, only I used the bottle that you connect to your garden hose, and I fogged the snot out of my backyard for a party we were having. There were little to no mosquitos, but the place did smell like Pine-Sol pretty good, LOL

I've been using Bifen for the last two years, works great. This yr I switched to Bifen xts which is stronger and oil based to last longer. I would recommend either. Good luck

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/bifen-it-p-226.html?sub_id=552

This is what I use also, spray the yard once a month and also use it around the weep holes and doors. When I picked it up at the store I was the only one buying it that wasn't an exterminator. I spent $50 and we calculated that it will last me four years.

Correct. I was being a bit sarcastic because I've never heard of using Pine-Sol for an insect repellent. :confused: Is it hard on the lawn?
It doesn't hurt the plants or lawn, or at least it didn't mine. I "fogged / misted" my back yard. It was a couple years back when the bay area was having a particular bad year for mosquitos. Nobody was bothered by mosquitos that night (a party that went well into the wee hours of the morning) but the smell got old. Now a days I just put a little Citronella oil in my Tiki Torches, there is a noticeable difference between having them going vs not. Bottom line, if you really don't want to be bothered by mosquitos, make a Florida room. They're quite popular in Florida, and they work really well. People have their pools enclosed in them, it's really quite nice (imho)

https://www.google.com/search?q=flo...kbbVAhXjrlQKHRAsCTYQ_AUICygC&biw=1920&bih=924

Thank's for all the comments!
We use citronella torches, and wear the wristbands ( which work very well ) for normal years, but this recent flood has these skeeters out of control.

Tim

Just an update: We tried the Paul harvey DIY one http://myhousepests.com/mosquitoes/homemade-mosquito-yard-spray.html
a few weeks ago and so far it works.

Tim
Bet the hardest ingredient to find was the stale beer, eh Tim? :p

It's been crazy here, I've only had one mosquito bite, and only seen/killed maybe three this summer.
A long dry spell probably has helped, but getting rid of the large twin river birch tree by the deck is more likely the reason.
It was always dropping something, onto the deck and into the back gutter.
Branches, leaves, seeds, etc in the gutter held water, perfect for skeeter breeding.
I'm a magnet for the little blood suckers and in years past could go on the deck night or day and draw a crowd, immediately.

Last edited:
Glad it's working for you, once upon a time.... the county would come around and spray neiborhoods with truck mounted foggers ,withat that time I assume, DDT.
Us kids used to drive our bikes in and out of the fog, which might explain some things, lol.
Anyway...the results never lasted, except to **** off the mosquitos after the truck passed.
I've NEVER seen lasting results in heavy infested areas with the county foggers or pro yard sprays, usually not even a day.
That said, I'm going to try the essential oil spray in the chicken house, poor chickens looking a bit pale. :)

Glad it's working for you, once upon a time.... the county would come around and spray neiborhoods with truck mounted foggers ,withat that time I assume, DDT.
Us kids used to drive our bikes in and out of the fog, which might explain some things, lol.
Anyway...the results never lasted, except to **** off the mosquitos after the truck passed.
I've NEVER seen lasting results in heavy infested areas with the county foggers or pro yard sprays, usually not even a day.
That said, I'm going to try the essential oil spray in the chicken house, poor chickens looking a bit pale. :)

Yea I here you Geo. County game down our streets at dusk, I was glad it was still hot out and the windows were closed. Whatever they sprayed out front just chased the little buggers to the backyard.

Tim

We don't have skitters here, but growing up in the Chicago area I was a candy stick to the lousy buggers. What we have in the rainy season is fly's, they don't bite but annoying as hell. But I'll take those over the blood suckers any day.

Back