Weber Spirit 700

Jeff MA

TVWBB All-Star
When I was moving my pics over from Photobucket to Imgur recently I noticed that I hadn't shared any of the pics with you guys about the first Weber I purchased brand new, my Weber Spirit 700.

The year was 1999 and my Wife and I had just moved from our apartment into our first (and still current) Home. I knew I had to get a grill for all the parties/celebration we would be having so I had been eyeing the Webers Genesis 1000 at the time but even with my Family discount at Aubuchon Hardware it was still a pretty penny, especially after I just signed my life away on a 30 year mortgage.

There I spotted her sitting in the store next to the Genesis, a Weber 700 Spirit. Hmmmm...interesting.

33,000 btu VS 36,000 on the Genesis...no big deal.
Thermoplastic shelves VS the real wood shelves of the Genesis, probably a good thing here in New England with it sitting out all Winter.
They both had that awesome red lid.
But the main reason was it was over $150 cheaper than the Genesis.

SOLD!!

I took it Home and for the next 17 years we cooked everything on that fine grill and it was a intricate part of our Family. We had 3 children and it went from Birthday Parties to School graduations to Pool parties and never missed a beat.
Heck we even used it as our primary cooking device when we had the Ice storm of 2008 here in New England and lost power for close to a week....bad, bad memories of that storm.

If any one inanimate object could be considered a Family member it would be our Weber Spirit 700.

I replaced several items in those almost two decades of use, several igniters and thermometers, one set of porcelain grates, two grill covers, and one set of flavorizer bars before I wised up and bought some rcplanebuyer SS ones.

It got totally cleaned and washed at the end of each season and one year, I think I actually waxed it :rolleyes:

It was finally starting to show it age and one of the frame supports was loose and rusted.
We couldn't have this!

So I began my first (and definitely not last), tear down of a Weber grill:

My poor Picnic Bench is now a Weber restoration table-

8PMgymC.jpg

53PULgU.jpg

I brought it to my buddy at work to weld the lower frame support, this is before I found out about the square tube nut fix.

Cleaning up the lid-

6aJ4Xxu.jpg

Much better-

YGupL8q.jpg

Emblem before-

SsP8wD6.jpg

After-

HWQi4s9.jpg

Lid and emblem cleaned up-

Yj24Jax.jpg

Firebox painted-

OCNusot.jpg

Last edited:
Before it was outsourced to China.

mW7CPrg.jpg

Frame welded and painted. Ready to reassemble-

VERmB5t.jpg

New burner tubes and igniter-

sk9OPmz.jpg

Painted the control knob indicators red, just because-

FSvEath.jpg

UHP33v9.jpg

I still have the factory magnetic product info tag which was attached to the lid.

25qW2Hv.jpg

The bottom of the frame where it meets the cement patio had light rust so I cut 3/4" off the frame and added wheel casters like the Genesis 1000.
Finished product-
xzGr5p8.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice story. I can relate to thinking of your old grill almost like a family member. I have my father's old genesis 1000 that's been in our family for around 20 years. I wouldn't trade that old grill for any other possession i have.

Aside from the wood vs thermo plastic tables and deep vs shallow cook box, it looks just like my 1993 Genny 1000.

Glad you haven't just pushed it to the curb for pickup by now like so many seem to do.

Yah, that is a great restore. I also love the idea of the red mark on the knobs. How exactly did you paint them without making a mess of things.

Before it was outsourced to China.

mW7CPrg.jpg

Frame welded and painted. Ready to reassemble-

VERmB5t.jpg

New burner tubes and igniter-

sk9OPmz.jpg

Painted the control knob indicators red, just because-

FSvEath.jpg

UHP33v9.jpg

I still have the factory magnetic product info tag which was attached to the lid.

25qW2Hv.jpg

The bottom of the frame where it meets the cement patio had light rust so I cut 3/4" off the frame and added wheel casters like the Genesis 1000.
Finished product-
xzGr5p8.jpg
Did you change out those knobs? If so, where did you get them?

Great story and great restoration Jeff. I kinda did the same with our 1998 LX 1000 I bought new in 1999, still have it to this day. Moved to five houses and restored it to a LX2000 about four years ago. Did lots of cooks on that puppy, it's semi retired now with us using the NG E320 as our go to gas grill. But it and the E320 are the only two that are under the solid roof patio cover and it's not going anywhere.

Back