Author: Karina - Cafe Delites

Ingredients

For The Marinade:

• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/3 cup BBQ sauce
  • 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice (optional)
  • 2-4 teaspoons sriracha*
  • 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • Cracked black pepper , to taste (optional)

Chicken:

• 3-4 pounds (or 1 1/2kg to 2kg) whole chicken (Butterflied is preferred)
  • Salt and pepper to season

Corn (OPTIONAL):

• 6 corn cobs
  • 3 teaspoons butter (optional)

Instructions

Mix all of the marinade ingredients (except for the Sriracha) together until well combined. Mix in 2-4 teaspoons of Sriracha, taste test, and work up from there until reaching your desired level of heat (or leave it out all together if you don't want any spice at all).

Using 3/4 of the marinade, coat the chicken evenly on the outside, as well as under the skin where possible (the breast especially), until fully coated in sauce. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night if time allows. (I recommend a minimum marinade time of two hours for this chicken. The longer you leave it, the better the flavors.)

FOR THE BBQ:

Place chicken on well-greased grill over medium heat, skin-side down, for 10-12 minutes, until the skin begins to have a nice char on it. Add 2 more tablespoons of vegetable oil to the remaining marinade. Flip and baste with a small amount of sauce (not too much or it will burn on your grill plates). Close barbecue lid and cook for 40-45 minutes, flipping once or twice while cooking, until chicken is completely cooked through and juices run clear.

Follow corn foil instructions above. Place corn foil packets on the grill halfway through chicken cook time (after 30 minutes), turning the corn every 5 minutes or so to ensure an even char.

Recipe Notes

*I use Sriracha because it's the easiest chili sauce found for readers worldwide. If you can find peri peri (or piri piri sauce), please use that instead.
2 teaspoons of Sriracha yields a very mild spicy result. So mild we could hardly taste it. Feel free to leave it out if you have doubts, but we love it in there for the flavour enhancement. For a good kick of spice, 1-2 tablespoons is a good start. I started with 2 teaspoons, taste tested, and added extra teaspoonfuls from there until reaching our desired spice level (we loved ours at 1 1/2 tablespoons of Sriracha). For an extremely HOT marinade, add in 3-4 tablespoons. When taste testing, the marinade will be strong. Don't worry, and please don't add any water to dilute it. It will dilute naturally in the oven when cooking through the pan drippings.

**COOK time does not include Marinating time

I love Piri Piri. Raichlen has a good recipe as well.

Nando's is a chain that serves up some good stuff. We can get their sauce in many grocery stores around here, which is nice.

I love Piri Piri. Raichlen has a good recipe as well
I'll have to look that up. This recipe is the closest I can come to Quinta's which is my fav, but half the time it's not in the store. When I stock up, the kids take my stock when they go away for the weekend. Anyone need any full grown kids?

:) Len

Back