Vortex Chicken Thighs - 2nd Vortex Cook

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
The Vortex makes cooking good Chicken too easy. My wife does not like char on her food and when I grilled Chicken over direct heat I always had flare ups. The Vortex makes that not a problem.

2nd cook with Vortex. Half full of coals. 4 bone in thighs with no skin, no brine this time, canola oil and SYD all purpose rub on all 4, Owens Buffalo Wings rub lightly applied on 2. Small chunk of Cherry wood on cooking grate over hot spot. These were big thighs and after 20 minutes the internal temp was 178°. Cook over.

The chicken was moist and tasty but needed a little salt. I had thought that the Buffalo Wing rub had given my wings a salty taste but it was the brine. Not brining these thighs was a test to find out. Lightly applied I just got a hint of heat from the rub. The two rubs together gave the meat a great taste.

I will no longer avoid grilling Chicken. I have advanced from rank amateur to beginner intermediate chicken cook. Gotta keep practicing. :cool:

Lew, I don't have a vortex yet (was looking at some stainless steel dog bowls at Walmart today, however :eek:), and I always avoided skin-on chicken with charcoal, too, due to flareups, but not since purchasing my first Weber grill.

Congratulations on your success!

I have yet to hear someone say they don't like the vortex. Although I do grill chicken the old fashioned way with some recipes such as roadside chicken to name one. I sure it would work okay with the vortex just forget to do it that way.

Homemade Vortex
IA4S4G9Yn_Jet5upA4jU3JGaoEezKKVMkzbP6glyfUfTav0OMsbIS_enEhlBSjJGcY2ofWhX_lLpewO7fuFh8O6rqmlYr1C9dRj38dmV2fUE1FdCbR9bqjTN6c1Q4dQ6qaNQyPd1KydHR4jBuuvZY5n8c6Oh56W49MNRrZxraLyRCtzkzuzH1GCOZyqn86e42zWeENPQYMmhsp99yevFGmcw8AOxMZ_kU3KxNqaegMS4MnN_mcvinKGzqCu1cw-PLRLBQ1Idb0ha2s3FmkupthE1TBs9LsFpUdvm9YizCUh00UWCWX2XCXFXv2iIN13_zivwSodHNzy9fe82X9fqsVkfdFhXe1UcRoj5VeBqKIZFu0vCQzNVw0528ya_kscgw5Ni1lhxnQQjkytmBtRK1fuBH3oV2d-xPITvuIYWEgUEmKhoCgBPkcUmi5yinghFRFBwmDr88WhZ7fG1m6excMDPuYZUcocvz3T3aoGrKaNIwhCK2e4nTIU52ATZ4T2jbbbPuM-uRnGc-JAn7bHC2OW2u--yeOAi5fv0r6wiBoEtKt4_ROlERS3fMJHt6bE2ZPt_9XNv2VYQXw5egfjujNJuz0BWBwVU7YPOQhovGtjmFgJ62Ia7SIQHoo53cRdX-n5G5dKpzW4_MQJITiJZEsERt8IFuQ9lt4wEWuiFxpGlYeE=w1240-h930-no

Last edited:
Nah its a 4 liter stainless food bowl, flat button, like 10 bucks in the supermarket.
Cut it with a grinder took 2min then used a file to take of the rough edges

Back