Fired up the WSM 18 for first time - what is max temp open vents?

David Nord

TVWBB Member
Hi,

Breaking in (seasoning) my new WSM 18.5.

I'm burning a full ring of KFB with an empty smoker. 80 degrees outside, no wind, vents full open.

I'm reading about 300 degrees steady on the factory thermometer after about 2-3 hours.

Is this normal? I see the thermometer goes up to 350 so I'm curious what the normal temp is for vents full open.

Thanks!

Hi,

Breaking in (seasoning) my new WSM 18.5.

I'm burning a full ring of KFB with an empty smoker. 80 degrees outside, no wind, vents full open.

I'm reading about 300 degrees steady on the factory thermometer after about 2-3 hours.

Is this normal? I see the thermometer goes up to 350 so I'm curious what the normal temp is for vents full open.

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum David

Much depends on the environment your running in. Elevation, Humidity, Charcoal vs Lump, how much lit charcoal you start out with. With the vents wide open, you'll likely see 400+ degree after an hour or two running

Do you have water in the bowl? That makes a huge difference in temp. You have to remember that weber intended this to be a smoker and smoking happens at low temps.

My buddy has an 18 & he has a hard time getting 300+. I think it may be due to the small vents. My 22 has much larger vents & I can get 350+ no problem

Thanks. The WSM 18.5 went to 350+ after an additional hour. Still learning the temps, vents, and timing thereof. Pretty awesome so far.

Using lump and all the vents wide open my 18" will hit 400°F

You can get temps even higher by placing 2 square rods (1/4" x 1/4" or so) on opposite sides of the cook chamber between it & the lid. Scrap pieces of metal... screwdrivers & etc will also work.

Want more heat? Add vents to the charcoal bowl & lid.

Back