Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce's Genesis Red Head 1000 Restore - Before & After

TVWBB Super Fan
    I think the handle and the slats look incredible, great work!

Outstanding job on the restore Bruce! Hard to believe that grill is 24 years old.
    Performer Deluxe(Copper) Genesis Gold B(Redhead) WSM 14.5 Original Kettle Premium 26 18 OTG Kettle Jumbo Joe Gas Go Anywhere, Vortex, Kettle Pizza

Thanks for all the great comments everyone. The bad thing is that I have a chicken ready to go on the rotisserie, but found out my wife won't be home for dinner tonight... It is going to have to wait until tomorrow.

I am going to try that Roadside Chicken recipe I found on this forum.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Very nice restore Bruce, it looks like new.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

TVWBB Fan
    Bruce a question doing mine now. The shelves on the drop down were a mess knew that and the rod is bent that holds the shelve up but it will get stronger when I do new slats does not really seem that rod can really hold that shelf enough to actually put a plate with some meat on it but again not done with it. Does it work okay?

That is a question for everybody but just asked Bruce cause he just did one.

Brian, I am confident that I could easily place 20 pounds or more an that swing shelf and not have any problem.
    By the way, my rod is not "bent" really except at the 90 degree angles where it attaches into the slide bracket on the frame and then again where it angles into the bracket on the shelf itself. Unless you have a different model of shelf support, it might be bent incorrectly.

Here are a couple photos of my swing shelf in the down and then up positions, showing the support hardware. Also, a video showing the swing shelf operation on my grill.

VIDEO:

Last edited by Bruce; 08-05-2017 at 08:44 AM.

TVWBB Fan
    Thanks Bruce, mine does not have that bar that slides. Mine has a clip on the vertical frame in the back when the table is down then when you swing it up there is a hole to plug it in to. Working on mine today think I may need to do another thread with some questions I put the questions in the think my grill was natural gas model not getting any answers except on nat gas to propane turns out I called Weber and it was registered as Propane. I think nobody looking at it because they think its just info on nat gas to propane.

Brian, I am almost positive my grill was the same as yours. It didn't come with the swing down table. It was missing, but also missing was that slide bar. I have seen others that have that bend and from what I could tell just plugged into the hole in the frame to hold it up. I am sure mine was that type at it's birth. But, I found a grill that had the slide bar style and it just bolted right into the existing holes on my frame. I would try to find that type of swing table as well. Buying an entire new table and hardware online will run you about $80, but if you keep your eyes open on Craigslist, you should eventually find a donor grill for $50 or less, quite possibly free. That is what I did. My donor shelf was also Durawood, but I switched it back to real wood.

Good luck.
    Bruce

TVWBB Fan
    Bruce thanks for the reply I may keep that hardware and ditch that table, for me if I can find away to extend the frame and put some slats for a table on the right side to make it a 2000 like Chris has that is what I would like to do. Not so concerned that it is not the way it came have a few ideas am right handed so that would be more useful. Going to open a a rebuild thread cause have some questions cant find the answers but you have been very helpful and thanks.

Good luck Brian. Sounds like you have some good ideas and just need a plan to get there. I will be looking forward to watching the build thread.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast