Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce's Genesis Red Head 1000 Restore - Before & After

Bruce's Genesis Red Head 1000 Restore - Before & After

OK, I finally finished the restore on my personal grill. A 1993 Genesis 1000 Read Head. I need to add the missing drop down swing table and I found a donor with Durawood, so I replaced that with my custom cedar wood slats on that and the side table. I also replaced the hood handle with a custom cedar wood handle. I finished the wood with Teak Oil. The slots in the handle gave me fits and it isn't perfect, but is 95/100 IMO. The table and swing shelf slats came out great. I needed to replace a missing burner knob and the drip pan as well. The burners are original as well as the cheapo porcelain coated steel grates. The Flavorizer bars arrived today from RCPlanebuyer and all I can say is "WOW - Quality". I couldn't afford the SS cooking grates, but they are on my Wish List. I cleaned the cook box with an angle grinder and 4" cup wire brush. I could have gotten it much better but figure it will just get black again after one or two cooks. I cleaned the outside of the lid with #0000 steel wool and Simple Green and the inside with regular coarse steel wool and oven cleaner and steel wool. I used the angle grinder and wire brush on the inside and outside of the aluminum end caps and repainted them with Rustoleum Ultra High Heat (1200 degree) paint. On the frame, I removed any rust with the angle grinder and wire brush. I didn't blend in the grinder marks but it still looks fine as most of the places I had to grind rust are hidden. I used the Rustoleum Ultra High Heat paint on the frame that are near the cook box and I used Rustoleum 2X gloss black on all other parts.

I have added a rotisserie to the grill that I purchased new off craigslist. It is a Weber 9891 and is long since discontinued. I can't wait to put a couple Chickens on it.

So, that is the back ground, here is the grill with side by side, before and after photos. I think the photos will zoom in if you click on them.

The last 4 photos are in the next post.

She's a beauty, Bruce. I love the way you did the before/after pics.
    ; ; ;

Here are the last 4 photos plus a little video of the rotisserie.

Very nice before and after presentation, Bruce. Good to see you ponied up for the RCP FBs
    2002 Genesis Silver B, 2004 Genesis Gold B, 1996 Genesis 1000
    Projects: 1998 Spirit 900

TVWBB Super Fan
    Bruce,
    Beautiful job on that Redhead!
    It looks like new. Love that so many here on the Forum are restoring these old Weber's.

Jeff

TVWBB Gold Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    Pretty cool handle! Excellent restore job!
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

Great job on it! I wish I could find one of that type of rotisserie

TVWBB Super Fan
    How did you do that handle?

I used a router. I drilled 1/2 holes at each end of the slots and a half inch router cutting bit to connect them. Then I used another bit to round off the edges. It isn't perfect, but still looks pretty good and close to the original handle...I will say it is slightly wider and thicker than the original which was by design. I think I will get another 24 years out of it.

The board was a regular cedar board from Menards that I ripped on my table saw. The table slats were made out of cedar fence pickets. They are the perfect width for the slats. Then I used Teak Oil to preserve and finish them. I just wish I had picked better colored boards for the slats.

TVWBB Fan
    Bruce, it came out really nice you did a great job.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast