Bruce's Genesis Red Head 1000 Restore - Before & After

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
OK, I finally finished the restore on my personal grill. A 1993 Genesis 1000 Read Head. I need to add the missing drop down swing table and I found a donor with Durawood, so I replaced that with my custom cedar wood slats on that and the side table. I also replaced the hood handle with a custom cedar wood handle. I finished the wood with Teak Oil. The slots in the handle gave me fits and it isn't perfect, but is 95/100 IMO. The table and swing shelf slats came out great. I needed to replace a missing burner knob and the drip pan as well. The burners are original as well as the cheapo porcelain coated steel grates. The Flavorizer bars arrived today from RCPlanebuyer and all I can say is "WOW - Quality". I couldn't afford the SS cooking grates, but they are on my Wish List. I cleaned the cook box with an angle grinder and 4" cup wire brush. I could have gotten it much better but figure it will just get black again after one or two cooks. I cleaned the outside of the lid with #0000 steel wool and Simple Green and the inside with regular coarse steel wool and oven cleaner and steel wool. I used the angle grinder and wire brush on the inside and outside of the aluminum end caps and repainted them with Rustoleum Ultra High Heat (1200 degree) paint. On the frame, I removed any rust with the angle grinder and wire brush. I didn't blend in the grinder marks but it still looks fine as most of the places I had to grind rust are hidden. I used the Rustoleum Ultra High Heat paint on the frame that are near the cook box and I used Rustoleum 2X gloss black on all other parts.

I have added a rotisserie to the grill that I purchased new off craigslist. It is a Weber 9891 and is long since discontinued. I can't wait to put a couple Chickens on it.

So, that is the back ground, here is the grill with side by side, before and after photos. I think the photos will zoom in if you click on them.

c9joDHk.jpg

2mcsoJO.jpg

QUls7UQ.jpg

cnrdJNC.jpg

Q4KXPsY.jpg

n1rS3gr.jpg

0uCQbh5.jpg

lwCii12.jpg

m5Rxmtt.jpg

QCQ0t0D.jpg

The last 4 photos are in the next post.

Bruce,
Beautiful job on that Redhead!
It looks like new. Love that so many here on the Forum are restoring these old Weber's.

Jeff

I used a router. I drilled 1/2 holes at each end of the slots and a half inch router cutting bit to connect them. Then I used another bit to round off the edges. It isn't perfect, but still looks pretty good and close to the original handle...I will say it is slightly wider and thicker than the original which was by design. I think I will get another 24 years out of it.

The board was a regular cedar board from Menards that I ripped on my table saw. The table slats were made out of cedar fence pickets. They are the perfect width for the slats. Then I used Teak Oil to preserve and finish them. I just wish I had picked better colored boards for the slats.

Outstanding job on the restore Bruce! Hard to believe that grill is 24 years old.

Thanks for all the great comments everyone. The bad thing is that I have a chicken ready to go on the rotisserie, but found out my wife won't be home for dinner tonight... It is going to have to wait until tomorrow.

I am going to try that Roadside Chicken recipe I found on this forum.

Bruce a question doing mine now. The shelves on the drop down were a mess knew that and the rod is bent that holds the shelve up but it will get stronger when I do new slats does not really seem that rod can really hold that shelf enough to actually put a plate with some meat on it but again not done with it. Does it work okay?

That is a question for everybody but just asked Bruce cause he just did one.

Brian, I am confident that I could easily place 20 pounds or more an that swing shelf and not have any problem.
By the way, my rod is not "bent" really except at the 90 degree angles where it attaches into the slide bracket on the frame and then again where it angles into the bracket on the shelf itself. Unless you have a different model of shelf support, it might be bent incorrectly.

Here are a couple photos of my swing shelf in the down and then up positions, showing the support hardware. Also, a video showing the swing shelf operation on my grill.

1Uv8s0p.jpg

zWASCem.jpg

VIDEO:

Last edited:
Thanks Bruce, mine does not have that bar that slides. Mine has a clip on the vertical frame in the back when the table is down then when you swing it up there is a hole to plug it in to. Working on mine today think I may need to do another thread with some questions I put the questions in the think my grill was natural gas model not getting any answers except on nat gas to propane turns out I called Weber and it was registered as Propane. I think nobody looking at it because they think its just info on nat gas to propane.

Brian, I am almost positive my grill was the same as yours. It didn't come with the swing down table. It was missing, but also missing was that slide bar. I have seen others that have that bend and from what I could tell just plugged into the hole in the frame to hold it up. I am sure mine was that type at it's birth. But, I found a grill that had the slide bar style and it just bolted right into the existing holes on my frame. I would try to find that type of swing table as well. Buying an entire new table and hardware online will run you about $80, but if you keep your eyes open on Craigslist, you should eventually find a donor grill for $50 or less, quite possibly free. That is what I did. My donor shelf was also Durawood, but I switched it back to real wood.

Good luck.
Bruce

Bruce thanks for the reply I may keep that hardware and ditch that table, for me if I can find away to extend the frame and put some slats for a table on the right side to make it a 2000 like Chris has that is what I would like to do. Not so concerned that it is not the way it came have a few ideas am right handed so that would be more useful. Going to open a a rebuild thread cause have some questions cant find the answers but you have been very helpful and thanks.

Good luck Brian. Sounds like you have some good ideas and just need a plan to get there. I will be looking forward to watching the build thread.

Back