Quick question about burnt ends

Mark Orth

TVWBB Member
Sorry for the new thread. I just separated the flat and the point on my first brisket. The flat is resting and the point is back on the smoker. unfoiled. I think someone said to cut the point up for burnt ends. I assume the pieces would fall through the grate. What's my best play here?

I've never seen burnt ends but on tv the folks put the cut up pieces in a foil pan and on the smoker she goes. I think they sauced the pices before putting in the pan. I checked what Chris has posted on the web site and he doesn't cut it up until it's fully cooked.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/burntends.html good luck.

Last edited:
Yep. Take point and cut it into thick slices about 1 inch thick or so. Then cut each of those into 1 inch lengths making 1 x 1 (or so) cubes. Put them in a foil pan, add some sauce, toss them around to coat real well then back onto the smoker.

Pretty much what Dave said. After I've pulled the brisket and it rests a bit, I separate the point. I usually vac seal it and put in freezer until I'm ready for burnt ends. You can also cube it first and freeze in individual bags, size depending on what your family will usually eat in a meal. Then freeze the bags. When you're ready to eat, thaw and place the cubed meat in foil pan. Apply your favorite sauce and put them on the smoker for around 1 1/2 to 2 hours, low and slow. Delicious.

Last edited:
Pretty much what Dave said. After I've pulled the brisket and it rests a bit, I separate the point. I usually vac seal it and put in freezer until I'm ready for burnt ends. You can also cube it first and freeze in individual bags, size depending on what your family will usually eat in a mean. Then freeze the bags. When you're ready to eat, thaw and place the cubed meat in foil. Apply your favorite sauce and put them on the smoker for around 1 1/2 to 2 hours, low and slow. Delicious.

Thanks for reminding me Cliff, I've got a frozen point that I did when I did my one and only whole packer. After the rest I cut off the point for later use. Forgot all about it.

I buy full packers. I either separate the point from the flat myself which is not all that hard to do before cooking as the point typically need to cook longer. Else I ask the butcher to do it. I have also performed the technique where you seperate the point after the flat is testing about done and then throwing both back on the smoker to finish cooking.

For burnt ends you are basically taking an almost done or done point, chopping it into chunks and putting in a shallow foil or other pan/container and placing it on the smoker, on a grill or in an oven at higher temps to brown or crisp the edges. With sauce or saucing afterwards. It's nice to do a point this way because it has more conective tissue/fat and crisps nicely. You don't really want to do a flat this way as you will over cook it or dry it out.

Mark, how did the burnt ends turn out and which method did you use?

Sorry. I meant to get back to this. You have to love the WSM. Everything went so smoothly I couldn't believe it. I didn't need a 13lb brisket so I had the butcher cut some of the flat off. The remainder was 9lb. I smoked that for 11 hours, then separated the flat from the point. I wrapped the flat and put the point back on for about 3 more hours. Then I started cutting the point...most of it was already good. I through the cubes into a pan on my grill to crisp them up. I mean, everything came out great! I would just love to find a good sauce to use on beef...something that didn't taste 100% like BBQ sauce. Thanks everyone for your help!!

Last edited:
I'm getting in the mood for a brisket!

Me, too. I've got a new WSM that I want to get running soon, too. Waiting on a warranty part to arrive. Weber was very fast in responding. I've got the day off next Monday. Hoping it arrives so I can maybe do a brisket Monday night. Planning on separating the point and flat prior to rubbing. Gonna run the flat on the bottom grate and the point on top grate. Really looking forward to my next batch of burn ends.

Trying to resurrect this thread. I'm doing beef plate ribs for the first time today or tomorrow. The Stubb's Beef Marinade seems like, well, a marinade. Should I marinate them in this or just use it as a drizzle/dip? Trying to decide if I can rub these and get them on today or if I should let them sit, rubbed, overnight. I was advised a 1:1:1 rub of salt, pepper and brown sugar. TIA!

I've actually got three bones of beef short ribs on the smoker right now 🙂. I just use salt pepper and garlic. It's just like the outside of a steak..... Only the meat is fall apart tende

Sorry for the new thread. I just separated the flat and the point on my first brisket. The flat is resting and the point is back on the smoker. unfoiled. I think someone said to cut the point up for burnt ends. I assume the pieces would fall through the grate. What's my best play here?
Once the point is done I remove it, cut it up into cubes that are approximately 1" × 1", place the cubes in a foil pan and coat them with a BBQ and cola sauce, put foil over the foil pan, and place back in the smoker. The goal is that the heat in the smoker will caramelize the sauce on the cubes. Takes about and additional hour in the smoker YMMV. Good luck!

Back