Give me some justification for adding to the family

Wayne Ficklin

TVWBB Fan
There's a poor 18.5" set out for trash in my neighborhood. It looks like it has all the parts, though one leg is disconnected.

I've got a 22" Kettle, and 18.5" WSM, and a Genesis Red-Head. I also occasionally put the KettlePizza attachment on my 22. (I've read the 22 is better than the 18 for KettlePizza-ing.) What could I use an 18" Kettle for that I don't already have covered, knowing my wife'll kill me if I clutter up the yard much more. (She puts up with more than she should already.)

Everybody with a collection of kettles, what do you use them all for?

I have an 18" kettle and a 22" kettle (and my 18" WSM). The 18" kettle is necessary because it's great for those nights where you just want to have a few burgers or a couple of steaks. Plus, you don't have to use as much charcoal as you do with the 22" kettle.

Okay, I've got nine Weber's, why on earth do I need nine Weber's with only two of us. Five gassers, two charcoal grills and a mini and a 18.5 WSM. I don't know,
Partly because we have fire restrictions in the summer so we can't us charcoal. One is a ng grill which we use mostly so we aren't getting propane all the time.

Maybe because I like restoring older things and that's three of the gassers two early Genesis and a e210 spirt that's in progress which I will give to my son ...I think.

I use the mini unless what I'm smoking is to much or too big then I use the 18.5. Our day to day grill is the jumbo joe which uses much less charcoal than the performer, but for roasts, ribs HH the performer gets the call.

Then there's my special 22.5 kettle that has a actual Weber gas conversion kit which isn't available in the USA came as a gift from a forum member I helped out in Australia. It's the best chicken cooker on the planet and this Sunday we're going to find out how it does with a turkey.

But the main reason is my wife Barb loves grilling and BBQ and we do 99% of all our cooks together, she even jumps in and helps with the restorations. But even she has said enough, but that's okay I've got all I want or will ever need.

Bottom line an unhappy wife is an unhappy life, but mines happy and I intend to keep it that way;)

I have three 2011 Deluxe (Gas Assist) Performers ( one Blue and two black), four 22.5 inch kettles (Homer Simpson, Green Mastertouch, Blue Deluxe, and a early 1970s Red), a Jim Beam branded Jumbo Joe, two 14 inch Smokey Joe Silvers (Lime Green and Homer Simpson), a Smokey Joe Gold turned into a mini smoker, a 14 inch WSM cooker, and a 22 inch WSM cooker.

I sold my 22.5 inch Brownie (Easterner) and have a 22.5 inch Maroon bowl with a black lid. I have a Kettle Pizza, a Cajun Bandit 22.5 inch smoker conversion, a Cajun Bandit 22.5 inch rotisserie, a rib-o-lator, a slow-n-sear and the catch pan/griddle for it, a vortex, two BBQ Gurus, a smokenator, an 18 and a 22.5 inch Stainless Steel Wok, and a rubbermaid shack full of tools and accessories.

AND..........I am always on the lookout for another Weber product. One can never have enough toys when it comes to grillin, smoking, and outdoor cooking. I am waiting to find an 18 inch kettle to add to the collection. Thinking about building a grilling center with two 22.5 inch gas assist performers and an 18 inch kettle.

Bottom line...........go get that Weber and show it some love. It will reward you 1000 times over.

I have a Weber Mastertouch 22" Grill which I use generally on week-ends for the wife and I and last year added a Weber Smoky Joe fitted with some Custom "Grill Grates" when the wife is at work. Today, I had some grilled trout for lunch for little-old-me

Last edited:
Justification ? That is a bad word. I have 7 kettles amongst all my other webers. If I saw that I would grab it without any thoughts about anything. You kinda make me feel sad.

You need it in case one of the other kettles breaks down :coolkettle:

And it is free

And you can buy a rotisserie for it so you can do chicken on the spit while smoking meat :)

First, it's a shame to see a kettle go into the trash when it may still have many good cooks left in it. Second, repairing/rehabilitating/recycling kettles is an enjoyable pursuit in itself (there is a website for people who like to do this, and some of them have dozens of grills as a result). Finally, even if you don't want another kettle ("need" is not a legitimate concern here, though lack of space may be) I'm sure you know someone whose life could be brightened by the gift of this 18" kettle, all fixed up and ready to go. It would be a true kindness to introduce a friend to the joys of owning a Weber, and the Virtual Weber Bulletin Board along with it. Do the right thing! ;)

Larry, yours was the most convincing, though each had merit. Alas, as I drove by this morning, it was gone. I've still got my eyes peeled for a performer (along with craigslist, letgo, and offerup searches).

Things come in their own good time, I got a very gently enjoyed 18.5 WSM from a forum member for the price I was willing to spend, your patience will be rewarded, trust me.

Funny. I just added a second performer to my 5 other Webers. Only reason I needed was that A) it was new, B) it was copper, and C) it was on clearance. Might have to sell the old black performer now. It's been 20 years since I had a brand new Weber, as all of the others have been acquired used. Strange to see it so shiny.

Never let a free kettle go if it's usable. If you don't use it, rehab it and give it to a good friend who only has a gasser. It's a rewarding experience. I had 14 once: sold a few, gave a few away. Now, I get by with 4.

Catching up here....

I always fit the grill to what I'm cooking . Which gets the most use at my place? The Q100. Fire it up and blast the preheat. Set it to low, put on the foil ball of onions and peppers (or just fill a green pepper with water and stand it up in there). Then a little bit later sausages and roll them until even.

I must have saved 2 or 3 tanks compared to using the SS Genesis.

Yet oddly in the charcoal world, the 18 grill doesn't use all that less charcoal than a 22 or 26.

Back