1st Vortex Wings - Really Hot and Fast

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
I've never cooked wings but wanted to learn. Robert, thanks for the Vortex Wings tutorial on my other thread. It worked like a champ.

8 wings for the 2 of us - 4 whole and 4 cut up. Perforated skin, brined 5 hours with Poultry Seasoning and salt in the brine. Only used about 1/3 Vortex full of fresh KBB and the Maverick at the edge of the cooking grate got to 490° .The cut up pieces got the Slap Yo Daddy (SYD) General Purpose Rub and the whole wings got Owens BBQ Buffalo Wing rub. At 20 minutes I turned the wings and rotated the vent 90°. They were almost ready so I gave them 15 minutes and puled them. I made Franks Hot Sauce recipe Buffalo sauce and we ate the SYD wings without sauce.

My wife loved the SYD wings. No char on the skin. I ate the Buffalo Wing Rub wings and it was excellent on the 2 wings that were moderately sprinkled with mild heat. I do like heat so YMMV I did 2 wings with it heavy and they were salty but medium hot. NOT inferno hot. I will have to try it on unbrined wings to see if that changes anything.

I learned everything I wanted to from this cook and it was easy. My next Vortex cook will be boneless skinless thighs to see how quickly they cook.

Lew;
I'm glad I was able to help. Chicken parts are some of my favorite meats. Cooking them with the Vortex is the best way I know. I generally do not like the word "best" as with most things there is more than one way to do things. However, when it comes to chicken parts, the Vortex is simply the BEST!:eek:

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

35 minutes and the wings were done?
With my vortex on a Weber Kettle, I usually give them a full 45 minutes (rotating the top vent every 15 minutes) before flipping and mopping with BBQ sauce for the last 15 minutes for 60 total and they come out EXCELLENT! I am SUPER PARANOID about under-cooked poultry.

For some reason the grate temperature is around 500°. The wings were well cooked after 35 mnutes. I was shocked.

I get some pretty large wings from a local butcher. They are whole wings, and I cook them 12 minutes per quarter turn of the lid and they are done perfectly. I am only able to fit 14 wings on the Weber gourmet grate without overcrowding.

Back