One Year Non-Smoker - Tobacco That Is

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
Yesterday I celebrated one year without smoking by cooking pork steaks. In April 2016 I had a serious heart attack despite being in good shape for 74. After a month of Cardio Rehab I decided that all that work would be wasted if I kept smoking and I was determined not to do it to my family again. After 52 years smoking, it was a tad easier than I expected. I took a one year anniversary stress test in May and aced it. My Cholesterol is now in the excellent range. The Cardiologist took me off my heart meds. I walk every day and lift dumbbells 3 times a week. I need the lifting to keep my strength up to manhandle the big WSM.

Life is good and God is keeping me around for a few more cooks.:wsm:

That's great news, Lew. You're an inspiration to all of us that we can make changes when we really want to. Keep on smoking that meat and loving that family!!

Congrats Lew, it isn't the easiest thing to do. I'll be 70 next year but I quit 36 years ago. My problem was I found that food tasted so much better I've been fighting the poundage ever since. With bad feet it's hard for me to exercise much anymore, but I try.

Happy to hear about your success!

I quit 8 years ago - February 2009 after smoking 1.5 - 3 packs per day for 16 years. No nicotine in any form, & no slips! I tried & failed several times over the years before that.

One of my good friends died last year @ ~63 years old. He spent the last 1.5 years in the hospital and then hospice. Imagine my disappointment when I ran out to his car to get another oxygen tank & I saw a half-burned cigarette in his ashtray. That nicotine is evil s*!t! I'm still afraid of it.

I found this site http://whyquit.com/ the first night, and just like Joel says after all of his articles: NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_Index_03_Quitting_Smoking.html

Last edited:
Congrats! I'm glad all is going well for you.

I quit smoking in 1990 and had a heart attack in 1997 (at age 43). Only 1 blockage corrected by angioplasty. I haven't had a heart problem since. I turned 63 last Saturday.

Congrats Lew! I quit about a year after moving to NC, AKA tobacco country!
I spent a week with my then 91 YO grandmother. I realized that I'd never make it anywhere close to 90 if I kept up the pack a day habit. That was 20+ years ago. AND I never would met my much better half, sweet Pammi Sue!

Congrats Lew! I quit about a year after moving to NC, AKA tobacco country!

I remember the days when cigarettes were $0.35 a pack in these parts. For some strange reason, I never took up the habit in spite of my friends doing so.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My father smoked about two cartons a week, and lung cancer killed him. Congratulations, Lew, and all the rest of you that kicked the habit!

Congratulations Lew! That's awesome. I'm coming up on 11 years now, after smoking for a 'mere' 18 years. Don't miss it a bit.

What does a pack run these days anyway? Back when I quit, my Camel Lights were well over $2. And that was in the 'cheap' tobacco state of VA. In MD, just a few miles away, they were a dollar more.

Yea, due to certain circumstances, I quit back in 69. But i have seen the terrible things tobacco does to the body. Glad I quit after smoking for 1.5 years. So good on you for quitting. Better late than dead.

Yay! Good For You Lew!!
I quit about 12 years ago after smoking for 30 years. No urges or cravings to light up ever again.
and smokes are over 7 bucks a pack in the Milwaukee area.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Back