Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crunchy Tacos

I'll take two breakfasts and one dinner.
    ; ; ;

How did you cook the taco shells! This is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Hartough View Post
    How did you cook the taco shells! This is awesome!
    This will give you the basic idea: http://www.food.com/recipe/turning-c...-shells-126744

You only need about 1/2" of oil. Heat to 350* in a CI skillet (the Lodge 8" is ideal). I use canola. Get fresh corn tortillas - I like king-size. Use the tortillas 2 layers down from the outside of the stack. Using tongs slide the tortilla into the hot oil & fry 1/2 at a time while gently moving it back & forth. When one side begins to brown... do the same thing to the other side. Start to form the tortilla into a U shape & work from both sides. Don't forget to shape the middle of the shell in the hot oil. Continue until you have a hard shell. Drain upside down on paper towels.

EZ - but takes a little practice.
    18.5 & 14.5 WSMs, 26.5 XL, 22.5 Performer, JJ, SJ, Roti Rings, Stackers, Genesis 330, OKJ Highland & Al Pastor Cooker

Yeah, BOY!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB Pro
    I tried this yesterday. The "bath" is so flavorful and fragrant. I mixed it up and left it in a pan on the counter while I was waiting on the roasts to finish cooking uncovered. I was amazed how good it smelled every time I walked by it. I will be doing this again. Thanks.

BTW, I ate mine on a bun, my wife ate hers on the plate and my son put his on a baked potato. We all enjoyed it.
    Light a man a fire, keep him warm for a day. Light a man afire, keep him warm the rest of his life.

Made these Friday and they were outstanding. My only issue was it seemed like there was too much bath and the meat (3.25lbs) was drenched. Juice poured out of the tacos.
    Next time I'll drain a bit before I shred it. Other than that, top shelf. This is going in the rotation.
    Last edited by Scott Hammock; 08-06-2017 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hammock View Post
    Made these Friday and they were outstanding. My only issue was it seemed like there was too much bath and the meat (3.25lbs) was drenched. Juice poured out of the tacos.
    Next time I'll drain a bit before I shred it. Other than that, top shelf. This is going in the rotation.
    Glad you liked the recipe.

You could always let things cook a while uncovered to reduce the liquid.
    Last edited by Robert-R; 08-07-2017 at 09:15 AM.
    18.5 & 14.5 WSMs, 26.5 XL, 22.5 Performer, JJ, SJ, Roti Rings, Stackers, Genesis 330, OKJ Highland & Al Pastor Cooker

TVWBB Pro
    This bath ingredients sound great and offer a different flavour profile than say, Pepper Stout Beef. I'm going to use this with a couple of pork picnic pieces I have, should work well. Thanks for posting Robert-R !
    18.5" WSM, Black Performer, Genesis CEP-310 (NG), Q-220

Yum! Those tacos look fantastic!
    18.5" WSM, 14.5" WSM, (4) Mini-wsms, Mini-Za Oven, Minitisserie, GOSM Big Block, 1967 Casa Q

I just made the beef up, I'm having a hard time not just sucking it down with a fork! I made it up to have later in the week, pulling a butt in a few minutes but, all I can say is thanks for the push in the direction! The taco end of it will pretty quick, m out of practice doing shells but, it will come back to me!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12