Crunchy Tacos

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
We love them & hadn't had any for a while.

Gave a 3 lb chuck roast a heavy coating of K-salt & coarse black pepper.
Put it into the 14.5 over a full ring of KBB & 4 chunks mesquite.

PICT6066_zpsfyxeal0a.jpg

Cooked at 260*. Pulled when it had an internal temp of 165*.

PICT6078_zps1jf14g1b.jpg

Had a bath ready for the chuckie.

PICT6081_zps0otqj2la.jpg

Covered with foil & into the oven at 350* until the roast was falling apart. About 2 1/2 hours. Shredded it in the pan with juices.

PICT6094_zps15pjvewl.jpg

Fried up some tortillas for hard shells.

PICT6100_zpsvoecnwbs.jpg

Time To Eat!

PICT6112_zpsvwf2nnwf.jpg

My wife ate 3 of them!

The "Bath"*:

4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 a 7 oz can chiptoles in adobo sauce, chopped (less if you are a wimp)
1 small white onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 bay leaves
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon Mexican oregano - fresh grind from whole
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 12 oz. beer (or beef broth or water)

* modified from a recipe I came across on another forum

Last edited:
Robert that looks awesome and I like your taco shells. Will have to try doing that next time. Also thanks for sharing the recipe for the bath.

That looks killer Robert, and thanks for sharing the "The Bath". Hey Barb how about some tacos tomorrow, I've got a great recipe.

Adding this to my file of recipes stolen from TVWBB, Robert! Looks great (even though I'm still on my second cup of coffee!) :)

R

Man that looks delicious Robert. I love crunchy anything and those tacos look and sound amazing. Thanks for the Bath recipe too.

The "Bath"*:

4 cloves garlic, minced
2 chiptoles in adobo sauce, chopped (I used 1/2 a 7 oz can)
1 small white onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 bay leaves
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 cup beer (or beef broth or water)

modified from a recipe I came across on another forum
I tell you Robert, you are killin' the grillin.' Great looking cook. I'm going to try your "bath" on the pork-butt cook scheduled for this weekend. We love Pork-Butt Tacos, and from what I can see, that bath will work just fine

Mmmmm..... breakfast!

Gently heated the taco filling & mixed it with some scrambled eggs. Was out of corn tortillas, so flour had to do. Topped with x-sharp cheddar, avocado & sour cream.

Ik1o2P7.jpg

We like non-crunchy tacos, too.

Last edited:
How did you cook the taco shells! This is awesome!

This will give you the basic idea: http://www.food.com/recipe/turning-corn-tortillas-into-taco-shells-126744

You only need about 1/2" of oil. Heat to 350* in a CI skillet (the Lodge 8" is ideal). I use canola. Get fresh corn tortillas - I like king-size. Use the tortillas 2 layers down from the outside of the stack. Using tongs slide the tortilla into the hot oil & fry 1/2 at a time while gently moving it back & forth. When one side begins to brown... do the same thing to the other side. Start to form the tortilla into a U shape & work from both sides. Don't forget to shape the middle of the shell in the hot oil. Continue until you have a hard shell. Drain upside down on paper towels.

EZ - but takes a little practice.

I tried this yesterday. The "bath" is so flavorful and fragrant. I mixed it up and left it in a pan on the counter while I was waiting on the roasts to finish cooking uncovered. I was amazed how good it smelled every time I walked by it. I will be doing this again. Thanks.

BTW, I ate mine on a bun, my wife ate hers on the plate and my son put his on a baked potato. We all enjoyed it.

Made these Friday and they were outstanding. My only issue was it seemed like there was too much bath and the meat (3.25lbs) was drenched. Juice poured out of the tacos.
Next time I'll drain a bit before I shred it. Other than that, top shelf. This is going in the rotation.

Last edited:
Made these Friday and they were outstanding. My only issue was it seemed like there was too much bath and the meat (3.25lbs) was drenched. Juice poured out of the tacos.
Next time I'll drain a bit before I shred it. Other than that, top shelf. This is going in the rotation.

Glad you liked the recipe.

You could always let things cook a while uncovered to reduce the liquid.

Last edited:
This bath ingredients sound great and offer a different flavour profile than say, Pepper Stout Beef. I'm going to use this with a couple of pork picnic pieces I have, should work well. Thanks for posting Robert-R !

I just made the beef up, I'm having a hard time not just sucking it down with a fork! I made it up to have later in the week, pulling a butt in a few minutes but, all I can say is thanks for the push in the direction! The taco end of it will pretty quick, m out of practice doing shells but, it will come back to me!

Back