I am Trying to Save a Red Head. (With Pictures)

Bill B

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Genesis basket case.
Today I have it running and about 70% complete.

Here is a picture of what I brought home and a few of what it looks like today.

Genesis_1.JPG

genesis1.JPG

genesis2.JPG

genesis3.JPG

genesis4.JPG

Thanks to everyone before me for sharing your tips and how to's.

That looks great Bill. Looks about the exact same model as my personal project Red head. I would consider redoing the wood in those shelves. I am looking forward to some photos after it is complete.

I'm impressed with what you guys are doing with these classics. Long live Weber BBQ's

Thanks for all of the comments.

My project is only mocked-up at this point for test fit and fire.
Tomorrow I will disassemble it to finish cleaning, painting, and replace all of the wood slats.

While I have it apart I am going to get a quote to have the inside of the firebox and hood & hood sides media blasted.

Updates to follow.

Thanks again for the support!

-Bill

Not at all to dissuade you from media blasting, but let me just say, it's incredible how fast the firebox will look just like it does now after that.

The hood interior, on the other hand, I was able to scrub the carbon off with an aggressive steel wool pad, and get to shine. The aluminum side caps? Not so much.

Just two cents.

Slainte!

Not at all to dissuade you from media blasting, but let me just say, it's incredible how fast the firebox will look just like it does now after that.

The hood interior, on the other hand, I was able to scrub the carbon off with an aggressive steel wool pad, and get to shine. The aluminum side caps? Not so much.

Just two cents.

Slainte!

Not at all.
Your two cents is gladly accepted!

This is as clean as I can get it.
I blasted everything with a red (pencil) tip nozzle on my 3600 PSI gas pressure washer that could easily amputate a toe.
I also hit the back with a wire wheel which got most of it but was no fun.

The main thing I wanted was to remove the previous owner's crud and replace it with my own.

I think I'll quit, give it another long hot heat soak and concentrate on finishing the project.

Thanks,
-BB

Just saying, the seasoning isn't my biggest concern during a rehab. My priorities are burners, flavorizers, ignitor and total functionality. The crud accumulates real fast. It's smart to keep the drip tray clean to avoid fires.

Have fun!

Nice work Bill!

Where did you find those Weber wheels? Love the full whitewall, those are sweet.

Last edited:
Just saying, the seasoning isn't my biggest concern during a rehab. My priorities are burners, flavorizers, ignitor and total functionality. The crud accumulates real fast. It's smart to keep the drip tray clean to avoid fires.

Have fun!

This is exactly what I have done, to the letter.

Pat,
They were discontinued some time ago for the newer style wheel :( which doesn't look so nice on an older restoration.

It looks like Amazon says they will get stock August 3rd but beware as they might be listed as the 3621 but actually are the newer style.

I bought most of the remaining stock from Ed Youngs so I am set for the next several restores.

Jeff

Bill, do you have the support bracket that connects the manifold to the frame? I don't see it in your photo, maybe it's in the cardboard box of parts. :)

7R4u1s3.jpg

Bill, do you have the support bracket that connects the manifold to the frame? I don't see it in your photo, maybe it's in the cardboard box of parts. :)

No I do not but it would be a helpful addition.
I had to straighten the mounting brackets to get the valves closer to the hole centers of the control panel.

Thanks for the sharp eye. I'll have to order one right away.

Back