This site turned me into a Weber Junkie

Brian B Atlanta

TVWBB Gold Member
I have only been here for a week now I search it every day in my quest for an old Weber to see what others are doing for projects, probably read I don't know at least back to 2013 I think.

Chris I showed my wife your Genesis 2 picture on that thread and she absolutely loved that and so did I when you answered my thread saying that was what I was looking for. This is going to be her grill, I have a UDS for smoking that I built myself and a cheap Aussie charcoal grill I only use for steaks which cooks perfectly think I paid like $59 bucks for it 7 years ago.

Jeff she also loved your Platinum restore when I showed her the pictures so might have a few options but she is partial to the redhead.

Other members with your restores please don't get offended I did not mention yours or share them, the wife only has a short attention span unlike myself when it comes to grills actually it was a major victory to actually have her look at a few grills.

Its rare that you have a question on a forum that you seem to get a response within hours or within a day so have to give all the members here a lot of credit.

Also wish this was not so far away actually 7 plus hours this actually looks like the platinum model before Jeff's I think this grill was all stainless meaning the burners, grates and bars, it appears the shelves were also stainless. I am a rookie but doing my research so correct me if I am wrong.

Anyone in the Wilmington NC area the craigslist item number was 6195695114 looks like a Blue Lid does not have the decals on the lid like Jeff's so a different model. If I am not supposed to put a craigslist item number let me know.

Fun to be here, Brian.

Brian,
You've come to the right place...we're all Weber Junkies :p

Don't worry- the right grill will come your way and then you'll be armed with all the knowledge one needs to partake in the restoration.

Jeff

Brian,

I did the same thing, going back to about 2013 or so looking at past threads, too bad photobucket recently nuked about 75% of the pictures that were here.

I know you're looking for a redhead, but did you see the Genesis Gold C on ATL CL for $250? item number 6232744376

There's also a FREE Genesis Gold B that has a rusted frame, item # 6226220787. If that was local to me, I'd pick that up just for parts.

Last edited:
I looked at the grill you mentioned. It is a new version of my Weber Platinum II . I like that style with the larger Summit frame and almost bought a Weber Genesis Gold from the 2000-2001 era as I liked the end caps/handle as well as the unique shelves.

Y7BDhJC.jpg

Jeff

J, its just me and not trying to offend anybody but the Gold with the stainless steel lid is just to new school for me. I saw both of those the one that was free did not seem to have many parts left on it. The frame was gone, I think it had no burners and a few other things. I am just going to be patient but thanks for the heads up.

Take your time and ask questions, use the time to expand your knowledge so when you see the grill you like you will know what to look for as far as what needs to be replaced or repaired. My restored red head has the parts of five different grills.

Here's a link to some of the history of the 1-5s and the 1000-5000 genesis.

http://www.webergrillreview.com/Genesis1_5.html

Last edited:
No offense taken, Brian.

I've seen a couple of red lids in person and I can totally understand wanting to wait for one. I'm also a fan of the green and the blue (the maroon, not as much), but different strokes for different folks.

I currently have a restored 2000, which I made out of a 3000 because I was never using the side burner. It's NG which I still totally love, and I have (and like) the maroon lid, it just blends in so well with the bricks behind the grill.

I'd post a picture, but I don't know how to anymore!

As a side track, can somebody point me to some current (non photobucket) method to post pictures?

Tim

Tim,
Our fine Moderator Chris turned me on to Imgur after the recent Photobucket disaster.
I switched all my photos over and have been using it to fix all my broken picture links here as well as adding new photos.

It's as easy, if not easier than Photobucket without all those annoying pop-ups.

Jeff

I'm using Flikr and I am quite happy with it. Works every time, there is a little learning curve to it but quite a bit like PB without all the BS.

This site turned me into a Weber "fanatic" too. 16 months ago I did not own a Weber, now I have seven.

You cannot paint the lids. Well, you can but it's dumb at best. The lid is porcelain not paint. Totally different animal

What about this one, Brian?

https://greenville.craigslist.org/app/d/skyline-series-weber-grill/6237061884.html

It's not a redhead, but you could paint it.

Rusty thanks for the heads up still going to hang out for a redhead but that looks like a pretty good deal, he did the burners a few years ago, new ignition and new bars a year ago it might not need anything but a cleanup and the valve for the new tanks which are not a lot of money. The grates looked in real good shape also.

This site turned me into a Weber "fanatic" too. 16 months ago I did not own a Weber, now I have seven.
That is my story as well, although, I have gone through about 20 grills between my Q grills and stand up grills. Luckily, I have sold most of them already. I only have one stand up grill left that is ready for sale and a couple more waiting for attention. I am hoping to combine them into one complete grill. I have a Q1400 and Q100 ready for sale and another 1400 and 100 and also a Q1200 that need cleaning before resale.

Quote Originally Posted by LMichaels View Post
You cannot paint the lids. Well, you can but it's dumb at best. The lid is porcelain not paint. Totally different animal

Thanks, LMichaels. I had no idea until now.

Getting back to this...

I thought Weber gas grills (firebox & cover) were made out of cast aluminum, and you say they area not, LMichaels?

Getting back to this...

I thought Weber gas grills (firebox & cover) were made out of cast aluminum, and you say they area not, LMichaels?

Lower firebox and end caps of the lid are cast aluminum. The lid shroud is either enameled or stainless steel, depending on the model.

Back