Question for High Heat St Louis Ribs on WSM using both racks

Erik Tracy

TVWBB Pro
So, I'm planning to do 4 full racks of St Louis Ribs for the family on my 18.5WSM

I can 'fit' 2 full racks cut into halves, laying flat on the top rack - and have turned out some really good results.

But with 4 racks, I wanted to have a try at using both the upper and lower racks on my WSM using the high heat approach.

Has anyone tried HH with both racks for St Louis ribs?

I was thinking of no water in the pan, dome temp target of 325F (with the grates being hotter), 4 half racks on each level.

Smoke for 1 hour, swap, then another 1 hour, maybe wrap for another 30 minutes, then serve when tender.

Thoughts? TIA!

I do HH butts and brisket all the time on my 18, but have never tried ribs.
Your method sounds solid, only thing I would think of is using a rib rack and doing all on the top rack.
I like the color better on the top rack, and that's one less thing you have to mess with, esp doing HH. The longer you leave the lid off at that temp, you have a good chance of going nuclear.:)

Tim

My last rib cook was 3 racks on a 22 WSM, no they all didn't fit on the top rack, but did with a little pruning fit in a rib rack.
They came out as good in the rack as laying flat on the grill... in case you were wondering about the rack.

I have a rib rack and have done 3 full racks on my 18WSM on top, but wanted to have a try at the dual racks - plus I prefer wrapping and laying flat.

Guess I'm in uncharted waters for this one on Sunday? It is Shark Week, so now I'm nervous...:rolleyes:

Back