Vortex Burn Out Run - 1st Time Fired Up

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
I put the Vortex in my Performer, filled half full with charcoal and fired it up. 15 minutes later I had flaming coals. I put my ET-732 on the grate opposite the vent and closed the lid. Within 5 minutes the temp exceeded the probe max so I removed it. Temp must have been over 600. I waited a few minutes and put it on the cooking grate, vent side, and within a minute the temp exceeded the probe max (556). I have an oak holder for my probe and the wood was smoking. I never planned on using the holder for high heat and just didn't think about how the heat would affect the wood out on the perimeter of the cooking grate. DUHHH

That Vortex definitely gives off some heat. Now I have to do a test cook. At those temps the chicken should cook pretty fast.

1 hour after closing the lid I put the probe back in and the temp got to 518 and was very slowly going down.

Last edited:
I put the Vortex in my Performer, filled half full with charcoal and fired it up. 15 minutes later I had flaming coals. I put my ET-732 on the grate opposite the vent and closed the lid. Within 5 minutes the temp exceeded the probe max so I removed it. Temp must have been over 600. I waited a few minutes and put it on the cooking grate, vent side, and within a minute the temp exceeded the probe max (556). I have an oak holder for my probe and the wood was smoking. I never planned on using the holder for high heat and just didn't think about how the heat would affect the wood out on the perimeter of the cooking grate. DUHHH

That Vortex definitely gives off some heat. Now I have to do a test cook. At those temps the chicken should cook pretty fast.

1 hour after closing the lid I put the probe back in and the temp got to 518 and was very slowly going down.

What size is your Vortex?

Yep, I've pegged the dome thermo with the Vortex. Be careful when arranging or flipping food around it, it throws off a lot of heat.

Lew, the indirect temperature readings you are getting seem extraordinarily high. When I did the burn out with my new Vortex on my Performer, I put my Maverick probe on the food grate halfway between the side of the Vortex and the side of the grill. I closed the lid and the temperatures reached 437 degrees for some time before it naturally started dropping as the coals burned down. I had started a full Vortex of Kingsford original.

Many cooks later showed the actual cooking time to be consistent with my indicated temps.

The temperature directly above the center of the Vortex ARE very high. It is a searing machine but has the disadvantage of a small area. However, on occasion, I HAVE done very successful searing at those high temps. On the other hand, the indirect area around the Vortex is my personal Go-To for chicken parts. I LOVE it for that use (and also superb for ABT's, too😏

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
They seemed extraordinarily high to me also Robert. I was using recycled KBB charcoal. I use welders gloves when I'm doing high heat and they came in handy. I wil be trying chicken on it very soon but I'll try unused briquettes to see if that makes a difference. I know I don't have to fill the Vortex to get enough heat.

Since it's normally only me and the wife I grill one steak for the two of us so there's enough sear area and as high as the indirect temps are even a thick steak should cook pretty quick on it.

Having fun playing with and learning a new toy.

QUESTION - How do you perforate chicken skin?

Last edited:
Lew: I also have the Medium size Vortex in which some Forum Members have recommend the smaller size Vortex for the 22" Weber Grill. I have not tested mine as yet but plan on using it in a few weeks in which I will report back.

The manufacturer recommends one burn without food. Any oils/chemicals that are on the product from manufacture are burned off.

Thanks Robert. I used a fork at a steep angle. It worked. I'll post the results as we just finished our first Vortex wings.

I haven't counted the Briquettes but it holds a bunch.

Back