Xavier G

TVWBB Member
Another one saved from the scrap heap, gang.

If you recall, I picked up this Silver A from a dude moving out of state. I originally went to buy just his propane tanks, but he was gonna junk the grill so I took it on principle.

My good buddy Tim at work is going to enjoy the heck out of this. The only thing I might opt for were I him is new grates, as there is a little rust on the stamped steel where the porcelain is chipped. It's totally usable, though, I've been trialing to make sure I can feel good about selling it to him. I do, and the only other reason I'm good leaving them is that we are trying to keep price point down. I'll keep an eye out for another donor in better shape, if I can snag some, I'll give em to him.

I scraped and scrubbed, wire cup brushed out the firebox, drip tray and catch pan, simple greened the lid and all plastic parts (separately), tore down the manifold and cleaned and lubed the valves, scraped loose paint, wiped all down with denatured alcohol and hit frame, box and endcaps with 2 coats of paint, and refreshed the emblem. Ordered new OEM porcelain coated flavorizers since the originals were s-h-o-t. It has the nicer tank scale, so I cleaned and lubed that too.

Lesson learned - during gas valve teardown, I could get the knobs to seat correctly with the valve cone, but the burner remained on even with knob in 'off' position. It turns out it's not enough to line up the knob and cone - the cone also has a specific alignment with the valve body (!) I only figured this out after dis and re assembling the whole thing probably about 10 times.

Hi Ho Silver A, Away!

DafaxT9.jpg

8oV0LAK.jpg

DjE4jjX.jpg

dmiRhZ4.jpg

mricG0M.jpg

z5J5R3C.jpg

tcV9pCR.jpg

Excellent job on the restore, Xavier!

Rescue grills - like rescue pets - are awesome. Thanks for including a little about this little guy's history!

Nice restore! The Silver A was my first restore as well, kind of. The one I found was in good shape, I just repainted the frame.

Yah, I have restored a half dozen grills now and every time when I get done, I think: "I wonder what the previous owner would say if he could see this now".

Back