Wire up the RDTC newbie

Greg Fountaine

TVWBB Member
20258482_10203634293573690_4410192430416084291_n.jpg

All I need to do is make the 4 connections on the HM board to the jack for pins 1 & 2, 7 & 8?

I'm assuming that those thru holes make connections some where in one of the layers of the board?

What's the best way to solder the wire into the thru holes for the jack? What sort of wire did you use to make your connections?

Thanks!
Greg

Yes, those are the connections, HOWEVER, if you have the TC Pit Probe on the HM (if the SMD parts you see in this pic are present) you need to remove one end of the 100K resistor associated with the pit probe and connect the pit probe wire there instead (Remove the end of the resister that is closest to the edge of the board). Pretty much any kind of wire will work, I use wire from inside a cat5 cable, try and route it around the edge of the board rather than straight across the processor. Soldering is soldering, any way that gets it done is fine. You can install the wires from the top or bottom, whatever works for you.

I have all TC boards - just to be clear, I unsolder the leg of the 100k resistor for the TC that's closest to the edge of the board and then solder the jumper wire going to #7 in the hole came out of?

You'll probably be better off to connect into the open holes on J2 for Probe 0, 1 and 2

No, not really. The way it is shown in my diagram utilizes the switch in the probe jack between the onboard HM probes and the external probes. The way you suggest would leave them both connected at the same time.

Got it wired up - appears I have a bad connection on the Pit Probe/TC circuit - sometimes it shows up, most of the time LCD says "No Pit Probe". Suggestions?

This was on a HM setup that I had already configured and used a couple of times - I did a reset from the LCD panel, should I do a complete reimage of the SD card?

Probe 1 and 2 show up fine and are reading correctly.

Last edited:
touched up some solder joints a couple of times. It starts up and the pit probe will register correct temp and then within a few minutes of running the temp drops down to 30's and then the pit probe disconnects and I get the "no pit probe" situation.

Did a little testing. If the board is cool, it starts up everything "works". The pit temp will start dropping rapidly until it quits. I'm assuming, once it heats up, it disconnects the pit probe. If it stops, I can put it back over an A/C vent, it will start back up - but registers a low temp.

the other thing that's nuts is that every couple of restarts it registers a crazy high temp, like 250F on the pit probe, should be 70-75F - but then it does the same thing, the temp trickles down fairly rapidly until it disconnects again.

Last edited:
Depending on your switch you used, they have a tendency to be ruined by soldering on the wires. Try shorting it the switch when it starts to go bad and see if it helps.

Other then that, as long as the soldering is good, then there should be no problem like you described. Try adding some more heat and solder and make sure its clean

For the 4 new jumper connections - I checked continuity and resistance from the originating solder joints on the HM board for the TC and the probes to their corresponding pins on the CAT5 connector on the RDTC board - all registered 0 resistance. I checked the grounds on both sides and went pin to pin on the CAT5's.

I looked around and I don't see any P/N's on recommended SPDT switches - can someone point some out? :)

Thanks John for helping me understand how this all works!

Back