WANTED! A 22.5" lid mod.

Alan Keen

Hi folks,

I took the cover off my 22.5" smoker today and found condensation (not unusual) on the lid and rim gutter full of brown rusty coloured water.

This got me thinking. Surely if the porcelein coating of the lid is intact no rust stains should be present. Now I am certainly not an adept at DIY far from it but I was wondering if I dried out the gutter and cleaned it and applied a rust eater and primer could I then fill the gutter with something? I have fitted a felt gasket which is a very good fit so would water runoff from a blocked gutter lid be a problem worth worrying about?

Any advice would be gratefully received!!

Alan :)

I had that brown stuff in my 18.5 early on and it wasn't rust. It's been a long time and I think the smoke wood causes that. I just wiped it off and it never came back. After rinsing it off can you see rust in the lid or the gutter?

I thought the same thing when I first saw mine like that. It's not rust from exposed metal.

It's from condensation formed inside the lid during/after the coals burn out. After the coals are out you can remove the lid and dry it with paper towels to eliminate the issue.

It seems the rusty water/condensation only occurs when you leave the lid on overnight.

After you clean it out you'll notice it's not metal rust so painting it is not necessary.

You can also use a wet or soapy rag, but that would remove some of the good stuff. ; ' )

Last edited:
Thanks chaps. Great tips. Should it ever stop raining I will clean it out and inspect more closely!!

Al :)

Back