Rotisserie doesn't fit

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Before I purchased this rotisserie for my soon to be completed 1993 Genesis 1000 Redhead restore, I did quite a bit of online research and was assured that this rotisserie would fit my grill. However, It does not. It kind of does, but not perfectly. I am wondering what my options are. The rotisserie actually works as it is, but the right side of the spit doesnt fit down into the grill slot like it should. All of the slots in the spit are further out on the handle. With the motor on the spit, it clearly won't fit into the slot. With the motor removed, I can almost get it over to the left far enough for it to catch a slot, but it is about 1/8"-1/4" still too long.

So, clearly it wasn't designed to fit my grill. I am weighing options. I see three.
The first option is to just leave it as is...it turns just fine.
The second option is to grind out the slot on the right of the grill so the spit fits down into it.
The third option I see is to fabricate a small bracket for the right side that fits the first slot.

The problem I see with option one and two is that without the rotisserie fitting into a slot on the spit, it could eventually slide to the right while it is being used and having the rotisserie eventually disengage from the motor. If I build a bracket on the right side that fits that first slot on the spit, it should hold the spit from moving right and out of engagement with the motor. The problem I see with this solution is that I would have to drill holes in my cook box. But, if I can make it work, I wouldn't be too upset about that.

Let me know what you think or if you can think of an option I haven't. I really want to make this rotisserie work, so let's rule out throwing it in the trash and buying one that does fit out of the box.

Here are some photos and a short video clip to show you what I am talking about.

VHYfO0W.jpg

zqrMk8j.jpg

Yah, I wish I knew someone with a metal lathe. I did open up the right notch so the bar does fit in it now, but I still have the problem of the possibility that the spit works itself to the right and eventually disengages from the motor while it is rotating.

I have since thought of one more possible solution. I need a short sleeve that I can put over the end of the spit between the rotisserie cradle and the cook box. I just have to find a piece of stainless tubing that will fit over the spit and then cut it to the correct length. I guess a piece of aluminum tubing would work as well.

What if you used longer stainless bolts and some nuts to serve as spacers for the rotisserie bracket?

Here was my temporary solution before I snagged the correct bracket:

35612702186_7fd11dcb09_h.jpg

Nope, it won't fit. The left side of the cradle hits the left side of the cook box and the groove in the spit still won't sit in the slot.
If I take the motor all the way off and move the spit as far left as possible, it still doesnt quite make it to the groove on the right side.

I would not have cut the fire box Bruce. I would have found a way (any way) to cut down that shaft in the correct place

Larry, I thought about it and did it, then after, I thought maybe I made a mistake. However, I went to the home depot web site and found one of these:

47v0p2m.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Climax-3...less-Steel-Set-Screw-Collar-C-037-S/203025019

The shaft on the rotto is 3/8" so this should fit perfectly. I can put this on and set the screw just inside the right side of the cook box witch will solve the problem of the spit possibly sliding out of the motor. Or I could put it on the left side of the spit, just to the outside of the cookbox. That way, when it rotates, it will rub against the SS motor mounting plate instead of the side of the cook box, but will still prevent the shaft from moving right out of the motor.

This photo with the blue line shows the place I would install it on the right side of the spit.

U9eYfd4.jpg

This photo with the blue line shows the place I would install it on the left side of the spit.

P0zQpMy.jpg

I had to have the SS collar sent to my local store for pickup. I should have it by the end of the week.

Yah, without actually cooking with it and testing it, I can't be sure, but I know when things are in constant motion, they tend to want to move in ways they are not expected to. The $5 collar I have coming will alleviate any possibility it could happen in the middle of a grilling.

By the way Larry, I just sent you a PM. I am looking for some of you grilling expertise.

That way, when it rotates, it will rub against the SS motor mounting plate instead of the side of the cook box, but will still prevent the shaft from moving right out of the motor. This photo with the blue line shows the place I would install it on the right side of the spit
You could a washer or two where the blue line is and then back them with a hose clamp. That'll keep it from walking out, and the washers will keep from tearing up the inside of the box

Funny you say that. yes, I do have a fastenal outlet near me. But I grew up in Winona, MN where Fastenal is based and started. They were just a small outfit back when I made a couple deliveries to them back in the mid 80's.

But, yah, I already ordered the collar from HD. I found that and though I found a needle in the haystack and didn't figure I would find the same thing available locally so easily.
Thanks for the heads up. Next time I will go a step further in looking for solutions to my problems.

I just wanted to come back and update this thread in case someone else has a similar situation.

I received the collar from home depot today and it was a perfect fit for the shaft on my grill. It will perfectly solve the problem with the spit moving out of the drive slot on the motor while it is running. I did do a chicken for just over three hours a couple days ago without the collar and it didn't seem to be an issue with the spit moving out of the motor, but this will ensure I won't have to worry about it any more and the potential to ruin a BBQ.

Here is a photo of the collar installed:

sWaoAsj.jpg

Your solution works fine and it's too late now, but couldn't you have just removed the right side shaft, cut a bit off of the end, drilled and tapped it deeper if needed, and then everything would have fit correctly?

Greg: Sure, I could have done that, but first off, the threads are reverse which would require special taps. Second, I have no taps, and third, my experience tapping threads is limited.

Another possibility would have been to have the rod put on a metal lath and turned at the right spot. That, I do have some experience with, however, I don't have a lathe in the garage.

For a $5 tool less option, I think the collar is my best solution.

Greg: Sure, I could have done that, but first off, the threads are reverse which would require special taps. Second, I have no taps, and third, my experience tapping threads is limited.

Another possibility would have been to have the rod put on a metal lath and turned at the right spot. That, I do have some experience with, however, I don't have a lathe in the garage.

For a $5 tool less option, I think the collar is my best solution.

Hehe, go out of the box. It's a freaking rotisserie with motor, so there's your lathe. Angle grinder with a metal cutting wheel. Done. :)

Back