Cooking potatoes Directly on the Coal

Dan C. FL

TVWBB Pro
I can't remember who posted about it, but I know some of y'all cook your baked potatoes directly on the charcoal. I want to give that a shot with my tri tip tonight. I have 2 questions: How long does the potato cook? and Do you flip the spud?

No disrespect, but I don't like foiled wrapped potatoes. They get steamed, not baked, and they don't pick up that smoke flavor while wrapped.
When I do campfire vegetables ( corn, taters, onions etc) I leave the skin or husk on, I throw em right on the coals naked, no oil or seasoning.
And yes the outside will get blackened, charred, but the inside will still stay nice and moist with a nice smoky flavor!

Tim

Thanks for your input Timothy, I'm going to try your caveman potatoes, they sound great.

I do both.
If I put them without foil, I tend to put them a bit away from the hot part of the fire and take more time.
I have actually been able to get them done all the way to the inside, without blackening the skin.

I still need to try playing around with then on the griddle

No disrespect, but I don't like foiled wrapped potatoes. They get steamed, not baked, and they don't pick up that smoke flavor while wrapped.
When I do campfire vegetables ( corn, taters, onions etc) I leave the skin or husk on, I throw em right on the coals naked, no oil or seasoning.
And yes the outside will get blackened, charred, but the inside will still stay nice and moist with a nice smoky flavor!

Tim

Interesting, I've done them naked too and unless you eat the skin I've not detected any smoke flavor in the interior of the potato. To each his own I guess.:)

I LOVE doing sweet potatoes directly on the coals like this. You just turn them every so often. I like to use especially big ones and then cut them in half for serving. You just eat the insides, and man do they taste good! They make a bit of a mess on your plate so it's not a thanksgiving dinner kind of thing, definitely rustic. I'd love to try this with a huge russet potato.

Back