Minor rust repair - need advice

Garth C

TVWBB Super Fan
Doing some touchups on this performer until maybe next year when I'll do a full frame tear down and repaint. I'll also continue to look for a green lid with no dings.

Plan is the following.

Spray with rust encapsulator. like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum-High-Performance-Black-Primer-Spray-Paint-Actual-Net-Contents-15-oz/3728123 sand a little and then paint with some gloss black bbq paint and insert new weber caster.

My main question is: Do I need to worry about rust on inside of tube further than 2-3 inches from the ends? ? The bad rust is at the tips and is minor past that. The grill will be properly protected from water so it should not get moisture inside any more. When I took out castor there was about 2 inches of rust flakes piled up. Water I'm assuming was getting in on top tube and was trapped by the wheel castor.

It looked not this bad prior to tear down. the rust was bubbling from underneath and black paint was still covering it.

JJnQvoOANE6l6mySUCqDvnqo7t_xktvlG92DThZ6oK2FQ2QAca9s7RWSvdXYBRbYIRWIoAPW85zYgBRTFfj6jBM0ZBAez5zsRaZqxSx_z61XatobcWXTG_Y4NJkfCfgRcoAqdWfu79g=w539-h956-no

CHaTFYNawi_U3iqU-_tIGexyoUJ2Bu3I7pM-gUX0MHzeMIoNDXSINDqtuGxEPNIecHkUTswoWScuUAg9s5QZOHWkI0Mn11xWXG6AQNKeDi3-M7XfmfiftR-8urmd4IIcN7aeyIWC_H0=w886-h956-no

I tend to be of the "as long as you're in there anyway" school of thought. I would sand the inside to remove all the rust I could remove, then ball up a piece of cloth, dip it in Rust-Oleum (or equivalent) paint, and push it through the entire length of the tube at least twice (once in each direction) to coat as much of the inside as possible. Then I'd let it dry thoroughly, put the grill together, and not give it another thought.

I agree with Larry, get it done while you're there. It doesn't look that bad IMO. After some brushing ( like a wire wheel ) I would give it a coat of naval jelly then rinse it, let it dry, and then use some Rusto.

Tim

I actually went against y'all advice. I wanted to cook on it today! I filed sanded and painted about 6 inches from both end tips where the rust was worse(really only bottom). For this summer it's about getting this bad boy fictional and really only wanted to prevent more rust rather than do a complete restore. Next year it's a full tear down and you guys have good idea of how to get to inside of tubes.

also sanded down weber logo without removing. I put together while paint was a little tacky still. I really was sloppy, but next year will sand down any runs and do a better paint job on whole grill.

aHWOOeiVmT4WeulfMxXd3E7Xz6TO_8sKBnyZ5qlqKpMjl128VzkepgNnbmkQeaRo4eI-UiwCB-_GPbOhjKNVzTQoYDdBeYYFi5Vh8sOoja7itd2__GmYvNuSKAh4hP0enNTfhdFyjdo=w539-h956-no

MJuMbS9vYKL_IB_1iVEtxmryd5siC0-5LvFIEV5JkSff37LnVW3E-NIg25rnix89P66Ob6cFAsNdA5rlsLBaJl_oiWVmue6PCnZ4SAV8FaJC6S3mmsmZdzMkg0cAtBO35p4eX_nlb7o=w539-h956-no

t5wcS3PzhC5POGJ_QGbNIejXC0SmrhQeapbgdqOp6SQiELgY8DRviMJ4HgxFGdpl7gkjmDWx_nR4Kc0CbF7ISCU2m-ZzsomePvhPzndNcdWbjU1ETWlB7CRnEs4BK7KA0snjaVGD_Fc=w1700-h956-no

Last edited:

Back