Birthday Brisket, Sausage, Burgers, Hotdogs, etc.

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I made some of my home made sausage again.

VFs0lnhh.jpg

Simple seasoning.

rx4RQzNh.jpg

Cut up chuck roast, pork butt, and brisket fat.

TPbS56Yh.jpg

TMNT plastic cups are part of my process.

PXDU7FBh.jpg

Worksheet.

iQWPQ1vh.jpg

Seasoned meat.

X8F46Rah.jpg

Got the casing loaded up.

HPuY3Iyh.jpg

Making links.

KX2Gxhih.jpg

Aspen Ridge All Natural Prime brisket.

jTFnS9Ah.jpg

Seasoned with this stuff.

ulPKVZch.jpg

Fired up the WSM with Weber Briquets and Pecan chunks.

SNA8785h.jpg

Cooked the brisket at around 250 for 13 hours. This was a 16.5 lb tray trimmed down to around 13. I save the fat for future sausage.

N42FGmVh.jpg

German style potato salad.

an34GJDh.jpg

Genesis got the call for burgers and dogs for the kids.

VuQgasnh.jpg

As the brisket rested I cooked up the sausage at about 225 with pecan.

HqtNJkZh.jpg

End cut.

rUyoCShh.jpg

More goodness.

gLLgwXKh.jpg

Slices.

aIrubLHh.jpg

Old school naturally occurring burnt ends.

9fdzVglh.jpg

Sliced up sausage.

hKBvoXHh.jpg

My plate. I also snuck in some abt's that my wife made.

Not shown, my first taste of No. 5 sauce. That stuff is greatness. I thought the weber briquets worked great. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Killer sausages Dustin. Great looking Briskie too. Happy Birthday!!

Just saw the second round of pictures. Looks so delicious!

Killer. Just killer!

Could you write up the sausage recipe? Some of your handwriting is hard to read in the pic.

Killer. Just killer!

Could you write up the sausage recipe? Some of your handwriting is hard to read in the pic.

Thanks. Robert! Here is a write up I did a while back. The pictures got killed by photo bucket.
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?65501-Texas-style-beef-sausage

The measurements are percentages of the weight of the fat, beef, and pork in grams, which is probably why no one has tried it. I also have since tweaked it so its 6 parts chuck, 2 parts pork butt, 1 part brisket fat, or in the case above 3 lbs chuck, 1 pound pork shoulder, 1/2 pound brisket fat. I don't know if you can even taste the herbs I put in over the black pepper. I think it adds a little something interesting. I season the meat, let it cure overnight, then grind it through the smallest die on the kitchen aid stand mixer grinder. I then hand mix it with the water until it gets tacky and stuff in hog casings. I probably need to rewrite that post with new pictures. At first I would do a slow warm smoke method (smoke at 150, then up the temp to 180 after a few hours). To me, this sausage is best cooked at 225 to 275 with smoke.

Meat + Fat 1998 g
Salt 30g
Pepper 30 g
Cure#1 5g
Cayenne 1g
Marjaram 1g
Sage .5g
Water 199.8g

Last edited:
Thanks. Robert! Here is a write up I did a while back. The pictures got killed by photo bucket.
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?65501-Texas-style-beef-sausage

The measurements are percentages of the weight of the fat, beef, and pork in grams, which is probably why no one has tried it. I also have since tweaked it so its 6 parts chuck, 2 parts pork butt, 1 part brisket fat, or in the case above 3 lbs chuck, 1 pound pork shoulder, 1/2 pound brisket fat. I don't know if you can even taste the herbs I put in over the black pepper. I think it adds a little something interesting. I season the meat, let it cure overnight, then grind it through the smallest die on the kitchen aid stand mixer grinder. I then hand mix it with the water until it gets tacky and stuff in hog casings. I probably need to rewrite that post with new pictures. At first I would do a slow warm smoke method (smoke at 150, then up the temp to 180 after a few hours). To me, this sausage is best cooked at 225 to 275 with smoke.

Meat + Fat 1998 g
Salt 30g
Pepper 30 g
Cure#1 5g
Cayenne 1g
Marjaram 1g
Sage .5g
Water 199.8g

Thanks so much. This might be my first "real" sausage project (well... wifey wants brats). Have all the equipment - just need casing.

Now that's how it done, Happy Birthday Dustin. Great cook and your plated pic says it all.

Everything looks perfect. One day, maybe, I will cook a brisket that looks as good as this one. Congrats on a fine cook and happy birthday !

Happy belated Birthday Dustin. You are without a doubt Mr. Brisket, simply an amazing looking Brisket

Happy belated Birthday Dustin! The brisky and sausage also the potato salad look perfect, very nice cook, you got the skills my friend.

Happy belated Birthday. Man you did awesome, you nailed everything just right Dustin. I'd take a plate of that any time.

Last edited:

Back