Jerky, ala Old Surveyor Style

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
shopping a few hours ago in my favourite Mexican tienda de comestibles (grocery store)...
happened across four slices of what was described as steak sandwich meat.

I thought it looked SPECTACULAR and for $4.29lb, I was in no mood to cry.
So, I bought it. Just over a pound of fine looking (to me) top round or similar....
no fat whatsoever. Cut WITH the grain... I thought, PERFECT for some JERKY.

So, here it is.

4yo_GwcGYMCC31izYujW74hJR5fxBaMwFEEqO0xrQVKxnQXwRtCn8JMTafxNHlQtdP8xT68ebPx_GOxymABnyLisNLimje0jH1qWMDGV1an-lYEqN6mG0zlSg47Q11eDznW_9ZJv4JOUPEK0Iu4jG7NJL9HkIahxXXc6-b0MUQch70UTBNPOMU7Lh7sOP9G3evY2_QaTI68K6d736lkPQ9iZylNxT-oXQnkBm3cygUDuwMfMp-GL4usrbaEtE3jOR9aBDcEVRxfh-Y2Ifs_HJVZi82TcgUFEt44QDz25UG_MGRII4gGMmFaYFUPgQPE4YWbB79RvEEbDewFv4Hf7knPH9bKrEy77QroNfFADeAlHcpZGagJHskl-nlKYjsMD0prFRk9qEdlmYpAtQc3vOgJmX6yIjfy9FgQDlYvVRqftUbxE8AAyysS2bZj1WfJW4mk8wd7x3aPi8IWDEuf8t5wOKiWCyvDc7V5PedqpzFbMzPcCoy_J6VdLuhMp9TbV_rBXJ_afYCTcNCAnhkr3Ou_zxw-zYmF8ojr_3tHhK5kwn42IvdZdlDCoMM_GzfxFtenxIKsRsxdrbclXyoW78z6FmrTyS-7cUX0gEivB84p7pqWrTJhbmA=w531-h618-no

I looked and searched for Bob's recipe in this site, could not come across it, but remembered I printed it awhile ago.
And I found it.
Using half quantity of his required ingredients, I also poured on some of my favourite bourbon for the hell of it.
Smoking and dehydrating this tomorrow.

yous guys can eet whatever it is yous eet :p

Bourbon in the mix? Brilliant!
I like to use bourbon when I make mine, 3 fingers of Jim Beam on the rocks. :)

somewhere in my field book I have notes from when I tried making Bloody Mary jerky.
I gave it a grade of ​F

I have Bob's recipe also and have been threating to make some for about a year now. I like the bourbon addition I'll wait and see how yours comes out. I just got a boat load of top sirloin petite steaks on sale wonder how that would work for the jerky.

That sound great Jim, can't wait to see the finish product. Are you going to be giving samples out?:) Always willing to help on tasting stuff.

That is pretty much the only recipe I ever use for jerky anymore. It's a big hit around here and is always on the request list. Thanks again Bob. Jim, adding Bourbon is crowd pleaser! Cheers!

Back