Weber Model Number 8101

Brian B Atlanta

TVWBB Gold Member
Hey everybody I am looking at this Redhead and the model number he gave me was 8101 having a problem pulling that up.

I am new to the forum does anyone know what year that was it looks really nice. He wants $75 bucks including the propane tank it appears to have CI grates which look in really good shape it has the plastic left shelves or whatever they call it for shelves on the left side. It is missing the ignitor so I have have asked him about that also asked him about the bars and burners what condition, the lid looks perfect and also what condition the frame is in.

Not sure I can post a picture yet first post but what does everyone think does that seem fair.

Brian

Not sure I can post a picture yet first post but what does everyone think does that seem fair.
Yes, you can! We don't host photos here, you have to post them to a hosting site then link them into your forum post.

See the FAQ for details and an example of how it's done using Imgur.com: https://tvwbb.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq#faq_postphoto

As for identifying the grill, I'm pretty sure that's a partial model number or serial number. The Weber Genesis Silver B #2381001 referenced by Pat was a natural gas grill, not propane, and I don't believe it was ever made in red.

A picture would help a lot. If you can't figure out how to post it, you can email it to me and I will post. Send to mail at virtualweberbullet dot com.

Brian, you mentioned it had the plastic shelves on the left side, does it look like this? This one is propane Chris.:p

Good photo, Pat! The earliest product catalog I have that shows Genesis grills is 2002, and in that year Genesis Silver LP was offered in black, blue, and dark green. The NG version was offered in black only. And it's commonly thought that Weber stopped making red grills in 1999, so perhaps a Silver B in red must be 1999 or older. Would love to know the serial number of that grill.

Brian: Ask the guy to see if he can find the serial number. It would likely be on the underside of the control knob panel or on the right outer edge of it, but it might take removing the end rail to see it if it is there.

That would allow you know exactly what you are getting. Also, if it is in good condition and you don't have to replace burners, flavorizer bars or cooking grates, then I would say it is a really good deal.

Pat yes it looks exactly like that I am going to ask him if he can get me the serial number.

I just looked at the picture again will figure out a way to download it but busy today.

It appears the table on the left looks different than that one a different type of plastic it looks grey but not the same also the handle has slot holes in it if you know what I mean so I think the picture you have is a newer model.

Looks more like that one not exactly meaning the table on the left that one has slats this one is solid with 2 horizontal slats but not really slats its one piece on top and another extension. Pats picture had plastic end caps on each side this one looked like your picture as there are no end caps on either side. I asked him for the serial number and will post a photo got to get some yardwork done but thanks everyone.

Brian,
Does it look like this?

bye0uYp.jpg

Jeff

Brian,
This was my Weber 700 Spirit. I bought it brand new in 1999 when I purchased my Home.

I restored it last year and got the Weber "bug" and sold it to a good Family friend.

If the one you are looking at is a 3 burner it is either a 700 or 900 model. See the bottom wire rack?
If it has one like mine it is a 700. If 2 separate wire racks it is a 900.

I added the wheels to mine to make it more mobile.

They are great grills and the first to use the 5 Flavorizer bars and shallow cook box where the Genesis models used 13 bars with the deep box.

Post some pics for us when you purchase it.

Jeff

Jeff,

Its a 700 boy you know your stuff, my decision is do I want to drive 4 1/2 hours round trip to get it, I have my heart set on a redhead but being in ATL I am sure another will come up and in no hurry but I have the bug so will be getting one.

There are plenty of Genesis Silver b's around but they have black lids which don't get me wrong no big deal but I think I will keep checking Craigslist.

What I really want is the old school redhead with the wooden slats and the deep firebox so may take awhile or I will just cave in and get a silver b. Trying to learn so that would be a 1000-5000 series built before 99?

Thanks to all for the help, might change my mind and go get it but that is a long way to go.

Brian

Yah, Brian, just hold tight and you will find one. They are not that rare. My 1993 Genny 1000 Redhead was a free curbside pickup.

I would think that you would have a lot of options in the ATL area. I live 50 miles from any real city (Madison, WI) and have to usually do some driving to get my grills. But, if I lived near Milwaukee, WI, I would have lots of options.

I am about 3/4 done refurbishing it (my Genny 1000 Redhead). What is holding me up now is waiting for my Cedar fence slats to dry out so I can cut and finish them to replace my swing down table slats. I already did the regular table, but I ran out of wood so I had to go buy a couple more Cedar fence slats which were still wet and need to dry out.

Here is what it looked like when I got it.

AglEO3D.jpg

Brian,
If it is super clean and doesn't need much work I say go for it!
Grab a friend/Loved one and take a road trip.

I love to jump in the car and take a long ride to pick up things I want. Not everything you want will be "right around the corner".

I drove 450 miles to pick up my Weber 4900/5000 grill-
Drove 373 miles to pick up my Weber 3200.
restore see here-
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?66377-Genesis-Platinum-Series-II-Restoration-started

Drove 683 miles to pick up my John Deere JX-85 immaculate lawn mower.
Drove 1,000+ miles to pick up my 1994 Klipsch Klipschorns
not to mention several long trips to pick up my several cars- SLC/VR6 Corrado/SRT-4/SRT-8 SuperBee.

Check the surrounding area for interesting attractions, stop in, meet people you would never have met, have dinner at the local restaurant, and have a lifetime memory.

...or wait till one pops up locally, but what fun is that?? :)

Jeff

Last edited:
Yah, Brian, just hold tight and you will find one. They are not that rare. My 1993 Genny 1000 Redhead was a free curbside pickup.

I would think that you would have a lot of options in the ATL area. I live 50 miles from any real city (Madison, WI) and have to usually do some driving to get my grills. But, if I lived near Milwaukee, WI, I would have lots of options.

I am about 3/4 done refurbishing it (my Genny 1000 Redhead). What is holding me up now is waiting for my Cedar fence slats to dry out so I can cut and finish them to replace my swing down table slats. I already did the regular table, but I ran out of wood so I had to go buy a couple more Cedar fence slats which were still wet and need to dry out.

Here is what it looked like when I got it.

AglEO3D.jpg

Bruce I want to see that when its done it actually looks in pretty good shape sure it will be beautiful when its done.

Brian:

I will post some before and after photos in a separate thread when I get it done. It is all about how fast that wood dries out.....days, Weeks???

I have it sitting out in the sun now. I hope it helps. I am almost tempted to go ahead and cut it and get it ready for the finish while it is still wet, but I am afraid it will shrink or warp after cutting.

Back