Solvent for Weber paint

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
What kind of solvent can I use to remove the type of paint that weber uses? I soaked a Weber name plate over night in paint thinner and it didn't affect the paint at all. I am pretty sure it is the same paint they use on the cookbox and end caps. If I needed to remove paint from those, I have always just ground it off, but that isn't an option with the name plate that goes on the front of the lid.

Any paint stripper should work. Usually it's a gel type product that you brush on and let sit until it starts to lift the paint.

Paint thinner didn't work. I have some of that citrus stuff, I will try that one next time. I have already painted over the old paint on my current one, but it had chipped in a couple spots which won't look good after refinishing.

Thanks Rich, but it says use a solvent such as laquer thinner. I would consider mineral spirits (paint thinner) a solvent, but it didn't touch the paint after soaking over night in it. Before I go out and buy another type of "solvent" in hopes it works, I would like a definite answer. I had tried a couple things to include paint thinner and a citrus based paint stripper on an old Weber Q lid and wound up having to take an angle grinder and wire brush to it to get the stuff off. I think the stuff weber uses for paint is a specialized compound that requires a special solvent.

I hear what you're saying Bruce.

I just tried to strip the one of the several end caps that I have that are in great shape, just a bit of flaking.
I used my "go-to "paint stripper seen here:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000QFCP1G/tvwb-20

I left it on for an hour...nothing
Left in on for several hours...nothing.
Left in on overnight...still nothing.

Whatever paint Weber used back in the day is bulletproof.

I might try my Silent Paint paint remover on it next as the last couple I have done required little more than a quick sanding.

Jeff

Last edited:
Try Zip Strip. If that doesn't do it nothing will. Solvents like lacquer or paint thinner only work to clean brushes when the paint is still wet.

Thanks Rich, but it says use a solvent such as laquer thinner.

The assumption in that article was that you're not trying to remove the old black paint, you're just removing any flakes and using thinner to clean the surface in preparation for painting.

If you find a solution, let us know. Maybe media blasting?

Well, Chris, I assume if you dont have a solution, it is going to be hard to find one. I guess I will just stick to the angle grinder and cup brush. It works, it is just messy and a PIA. If a guy could just soak the piece in something overnight and come out and wipe it away, it would be awesome.

I know this will sound weird but try brake fluid. It'll strip the paint off a car if you spill it on there

The Brake Fluid trick worked great on my Platinum II aluminum shelf for removing that powder coated finish,

It will be my next test on those stubborn end caps.

Jeff

The assumption in that article was that you're not trying to remove the old black paint, you're just removing any flakes and using thinner to clean the surface in preparation for painting.

If you find a solution, let us know. Maybe media blasting?

Bruce, I understand what you're saying. Stop and think for a second if you can't get the paint off it ain't going to come off when you paint over it. I've done 5 or 6 of these and some are 2-3 years old and still look great. No need to remove the paint, just use your paint thinner to clean it to make sure there isn't any grease on it. Also that VHT paint that you will use to repaint it is very tough and is a bear to remove so it should be fine.

Rich, I have done that on a few grills where I just scraped off the areas that were peeling or flaking. But, then you wind up with flat spots in the textured paint. I just don't like how it looks. If it needs any stripping, chipping, sanding, I have just resigned to getting after it with an angle grinder and cup wire brush and taking the whole thing down to bare metal. It would just be nice if we could just soak those end caps overnight and wipe it off in the morning.

Back