6 Pound Brisket Flat

Drew M

TVWBB Member
All,
Looking for some advice on smoking a 6 pound brisket flat tomorrow. I have only tried once before and it came out pretty dry. I blame that one on beer and tequila :rolleyes: I have been reading to calculate roughly 1.5 hours per pound but my gut is telling me 9 hours is going to be long. I am going to try to keep the WSM around 230-235. I am preparing a mop to apply during the cook also.
Does 9 hours seem too long of an estimate?
At what temp do you think I should wrap it?

Any other good advice? :)

Thanks in advance!

I foil between 160 and 170. My last one was 5 lbs. and took 7.5 hours at 225. I rested it foiled in a cooler for almost 3 hours and it was tender and juicy. Depending on the piece of meat it could take 9 hours and it's best to finish early so it can rest. Enjoy the learning experience and let us know how it runs out..

If you have an injector, you can always buy a little insurance against drying out with that. I injected with beef broth and a little Worcestershire last time. I was following a rather involved recipe that included a number of other apparently non-standard steps, like starting at 180F, so it's hard to say injection was the magic bullet that made it come out tender and juicy. That I started with prime brisket probably didn't hurt either. I wrapped in foil after five hours, adding more beef broth and some sliced onions to the package, and returned to the smoker, raising the temp to 275F. About 15 degrees shy of done I unwrapped, allowing it to finish that way.

Thanks for the advice....I will post up tomorrow and let ya know how mine turned out. It's going to be 100*F here tomorrow, so I'm curious to see how that plays into this as well. I was going to do a little experiment and put the smoker out in the sun today just to see how hot it would get but didnt get around to it.

Thanks for the advice....I will post up tomorrow and let ya know how mine turned out. It's going to be 100*F here tomorrow, so I'm curious to see how that plays into this as well. I was going to do a little experiment and put the smoker out in the sun today just to see how hot it would get but didnt get around to it.

Mine is in the full sun, smoking away (check the Photo Gallery forum for my status, if you haven't seen it already).

I've noticed that in full sun my WSM gets to be about 105F at the dome w/ no fire lit. Maybe that helps with the fuel burn time, maybe it works against it. Dunno.

Put the brisket on this morning at 8:45. I couldn't figure out how to get pics posted here. But there was some silverskin on the top that I tried to peel off but just couldn't seem to remove it without mangling the meat. Should I be worried about that? it was not completely covered but had some spots left. Also made Meatheads Texas Mop Sauce recipe. Man that stuff smells good! Will let you know how it turns out.

Put the brisket on this morning at 8:45. I couldn't figure out how to get pics posted here. But there was some silverskin on the top that I tried to peel off but just couldn't seem to remove it without mangling the meat. Should I be worried about that? it was not completely covered but had some spots left. Also made Meatheads Texas Mop Sauce recipe. Man that stuff smells good! Will let you know how it turns out.

I can help with the pics if you want.

Shoot me a PM.

Good luck with the cook - keep us posted!

I can help with the pics if you want.

Shoot me a PM.

Good luck with the cook - keep us posted!

Thanks Erik, I looked it up and it seems like kind of a PIA but if i get bored later, maybe I'll set it up. Anyway, 12:00pm (3hr 15min) and holding at 235. Took a peek and no bark setting up yet so I'm thinking about skipping the mop. Looks like most folks dont mop anyway. Will keep ya posted.

Let me see if I get these photos displayed here. There are pics of the Brisket and then a pic from when I put it on this morning:

AF1QipPw_TTW5gAAjUqFlrLgsE4xOmjQIcn_iv2AJ3d-

AF1QipOLcGRuZlQoDjovk1T6Tj3l30uJJ2LE0F2jU_oQ

AF1QipMJe_Cmo50v9YtVx5CTljvG-W8_CvxGXdJSK0Rh

Back