This Sounds Silly But:

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
I feel silly posting this "problem". I have been doing rotisserie chickenon my Performer using the baskets and Pecan wood from Fruitawood. When the kettle reaches the desired temp I put the chicken on and place 1 chunk of wood on top of the basket. I have not been getting any smoke flavor. The wood is completely spent. Does anyone have any tips?

That seems really strange because chicken is so easy to oversmoke. Maybe the smoke is going right out the vent and not over the food? Where are you putting the baskets? To the sides? Maybe put the chunk in the side opposite the vent?

My experience with Pecan is that it's about the mildest smoke of all my woods, I would try two chunks and do what Dustin suggested.

That seems really strange because chicken is so easy to oversmoke.

I read that all the time, but haven't found it to be the case. I think a lot of it comes down to time and temp, maybe chicken is easy to oversmoke if you do a low and slow cook with it? I always cook chicken hot and fast, so if I want some smoke flavor I put several chunks right on the coals.

I use two chunks directly in the baskets, one on each side, and let it just spin away. You might just be going too light on the wood. Nice thing is, chicken is pretty cheap so, the experimentation isn't brutally costly. Trial and error.

I read that all the time, but haven't found it to be the case. I think a lot of it comes down to time and temp, maybe chicken is easy to oversmoke if you do a low and slow cook with it? I always cook chicken hot and fast, so if I want some smoke flavor I put several chunks right on the coals.

Exactly! OP wasn't smoking chicken so the above comments on adding more wood during rotiss or grilling or indirect make sense, because the time frame is shorter.:)

Tim

I'm confused by your statement Timothy (it's like talking to myself!), he states that he's not getting smoke flavor on his twirly bird. My thought is he's not starting smoke heavily enough initially. Are we on the same page there?
A side thought, what advantage do people think they get by setting the whole kettle up and "getting to temp" then pulling the lid to put the meat on? It's not the same as getting your oven to temp, popping the door and putting something in/on a pan in, when you pull the lid on a kettle a significant heat loss happens, no?
I will get things set up, when I dump the coals, add the spit and button it up, temp is up in five minutes and all S ready to roll. Just an observation.

I'm confused by your statement Timothy (it's like talking to myself!), he states that he's not getting smoke flavor on his twirly bird. My thought is he's not starting smoke heavily enough initially. Are we on the same page there?
Yea. Smoking a bird takes longer and it will pick up more smoke as Dustin-G pointed out. Quick cooks like grilling or rotiss you should load up on the smoke.:)

Tim

Back