Thinking About Buying a Vortex

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
Most of my cooking is just for me and the wife and these old folks are not heavy eaters. I've pared down my cookers to a Performer and 22" WSM. KISS When we have the whole family here I sometimes use both. Chicken is my hardest cook unless I do hot and fast on the WSM. My wife does not like char on her Chicken.
I'm hoping the Vortex will make it simpler. Does it?
Also, is it possible to fill the Vortex with unlit and start it with the gas assist on the Performer?
Do you have control of your grate temp when cooking indirect?
What are the Pros and Cons of the Vortex?

Last edited:
I almost find it difficult to be objective about the Vortex, I like mine so much! I have used mine extensively with chicken parts. I have mine on a Performer with gas ignition. I simply fill up the Vortex with Kingsford Original Briqs centered in the grill. Then I light the gas ignition for three minutes, turn off the gas, wait a total of fifteen minutes. I put the food grate on and close the grill (all vents wide open) for five minutes, open and clean and oil the food grate. I then apply the chicken parts. I brine all parts after perforating the skin. I pat dry, oil the chicken, apply the rub. Then put on the food grate. I close the lid. After 20 minutes, I open the lid, flip all parts, then close up. After flipping, I judge how done the chicken, then time it accordingly. Small wing parts cook faster than drum sticks, and drums cook faster than thighs, of course.

When I first got my Vortex, I checked the temperatures on the food grate in the indirect area where the chicken cooks. It quickly hit 437 degrees.

One more thing: I rotate the lid when I flip my chicken and again at the same interval. Parts may be done in as little time of 35 minutes for small wings, and as much as 50 minutes to an hourfor big thighs. YMMV

Keep on smoking',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
I agree with Robert, it's perfect for chicken and I use my gas assist on the performer also. Really no cons to it.

Robert and Richard are right. I love my Vortex. You will not have any buyers remorse if you purchase one.

when cooking chicken wings is the vortex any better than using the 2 weber charcoal baskets in the middle of the grill? thats what i always do

You guys convinced me. I ordered it yesterday from Owens BBQ in North Dakota and it shipped today. Chris had posted that he's a member here.

when cooking chicken wings is the vortex any better than using the 2 weber charcoal baskets in the middle of the grill? thats what i always do

I say, YES it's better, but YMMV. I use my Vortex with my gas assist Performer as well. I've never been a chicken wings fan (I'm super-paranoid of under cooked poultry), but since I got the vortex, I love the crisp, bite through skin and firm, white flesh of the wings. Simply rotate the top vent every 15 minutes for 45 minutes, flip and glaze with BBQ sauce of your choice for the last 15 minutes and walaa! I use Owens rub as well for my wings. Just the right amount of heat.
I did a Beer-Can chicken in my vortex for the first time last week on vacation,,, came out really well! excellent crisp skin and moist, firm meat.
It's excellent for searing steaks as well.
Really a great versatile product at a great price.

You guys convinced me. I ordered it yesterday from Owens BBQ in North Dakota and it shipped today. Chris had posted that he's a member here.

Mine just came in! But, I also ordered a stainless grate for my 18" kettle and a rotisserie adapter for my 22" kettle. The rotisserie set up had to be the first experiment. Hope to do wings with the vortex son!

- - - Updated - - -

Mine just came in! But, I also ordered a stainless grate for my 18" kettle and a rotisserie adapter for my 22" kettle. The rotisserie set up had to be the first experiment. Hope to do wings with the vortex son!

Oops. I meant soon

Lew: What size Vortex did you order as I have the Medium-size Vortex for my Weber 22" Mastertouch Grill?

Last edited:
I've also been thinking about the Vortex but in the meantime I've been doing something similar as you. I've been using an 8-inch round charcoal basket made of expanded metal.

Last edited:
Richard, I ordered the medium size. I ordered it early Saturday morning and it came in the mail today. Excellent service from Owens BBQ. The Vortex came with an 11.5 oz. container of their Buffalo Wing rub. Tomorrow morning I'm going to do a burn out run and then get some chicken to try out the Vortex and the rub. I've never been keen on grilling chicken but I bought this hoping to get better at chicken.

Is it better than using the two wire baskets in the middle. I don't know but I'll find out - in time.

OK, Vortex guys.

When you do wings like this, do you try to catch the grease, or let it fall to the grill?

When I do wings (no Vortex - yet), I cook them indirect, with a foil grease catcher under them.

Thanks, Mike

OK, Vortex guys.

When you do wings like this, do you try to catch the grease, or let it fall to the grill?

When I do wings (no Vortex - yet), I cook them indirect, with a foil grease catcher under them.

Thanks, Mike
For Indirect cooking I always use foil underneath and this will be the case when I first use my new Medium-size "Votex".

I only foil when I baste with something sugary that can get caked on the moving parts of the kettle. Otherwise, I welcome all that gunk build up. :)

To all;
I don't put anything under and around my Vortex. Yes, you will get some chicken fat on the sides of the grill (inside). A $.98 plastic putty knife from Lowe's Building Supplies, will take care of that. Wait until the grill is cool, then scrape it down. If you allow it to continuously build up, you can have the fat catch on fire.

Just a thought or two...

FWIW
Keep on smokin',

To all;
I don't put anything under and around my Vortex. Yes, you will get some chicken fat on the sides of the grill (inside). A $.98 plastic putty knife from Lowe's Building Supplies, will take care of that. Wait until the grill is cool, then scrape it down. If you allow it to continuously build up, you can have the fat catch on fire.

Just a thought or two...

FWIW
Keep on smokin',

Thanks.

That's what I was wondering. I've had grease flares in my kettle before - they can sure ruin a cook.

To all;

Just a thought or two...

FWIW
Keep on smokin',

This is what I do also. It is usually time to clean the bowl anyway, this gives me a reason to clean it.

Back