A flat that ain't flat - concerned?

Erik Tracy

TVWBB Pro
I opened the cryovac pak holding a choice brisket flat I got at Costco yesterday to trim and season for an early cook tomorrow.

It ain't exactly flat - very wide and thin (about 1/2" in thickness) at one end tapering in width but increasing in thickness at the other end(over 1" in thickness).

I'm guessing that the thin end is going to be the 'sacrificial' end by the finish to be crumbly dry.

My question - next time I'm shopping for just a flat, are the 'good' ones even in thickness end to end or is this typical?

Whole flats are not totally flat.

brisket-anatomy-small.jpg

I'm guessing that the thin end is going to be the 'sacrificial' end by the finish to be crumbly dry.
You'll have to get down to eye level to figure out exactly how and where you want to do it, but make a shallow slice across the flat and fold the thin end back over (or under) the flat to create a thicker section of meat. Secure with toothpicks or string.

What, you don't like my drawing. lol.
Have you bought totally flat flats in the past?

There's a 'butt' on that flat. lol

I'm a brisket noob - only done two before this, but paying more attention this time. Taking notes in my log, will track the temps, smoke, appearance, tenderness, etc.

Rig gets lit in t-minus 30 minutes....

Briskets these days seem to be butchered with a very thin end of the flat included. I usually buy one bigger than I need and cut off the thin end to grind up for burgers.

Jeff

Back