Replace My Sunbeam Gas Grill With A Weber?

Rusty James

TVWBB Emerald Member
This is one area of the forum I seldom visit due to liking my kettle and WSM's so much, but I have been lurking on Craigslist for a possible replacement to my old Sunbeam propane grill.

For what it's worth, I haven't fired up my gas grill in six or seven years, although it sits protected out of the elements. Just wondering if it's worth it to buy an older Weber and refurbish it, or look for something newer.

I would buy and refurb an older Weber. There are lots of them on craigslist that can be had for $50 or less. If you live near or in a bigger city, you will have more to choose from.
For the $50 or less, you will find grills that just need some good cleaning and will be ready for grilling. Others will need replacement of the burners, flavorizer bars, cooking grates and/or igniter.

The cooking grates are the biggest expense to replace, followed by the flavorizer bars and burners. The igniter is usually about $10-$12. As long as you can salvage some of the internals, you can have a great Weber grill that would cost 4 or 5 times more if bought new.

I convinced my buddy to go this route, sold him a nice 1000 series Genesis for a fair price. He went bonkers, replaced everything that you can replace and fully tricked it out, and just sent me this text yesterday:

"Dude! I'm in love with my Weber! Yes, I spent more than my original budget ($300), but man was it worth it!!! I'm heating up some meatloaf for a sandwich! I think I'm an everyday griller now! I definitely see the value going this route."

Just wondering if it's worth it to buy an older Weber and refurbish it, or look for something newer.
You can buy a brand new Sunbeam 3 burner for $160. A brand new Weber Spirit starts at $399 and goes up to $599 Note: Spirits are not made in the USA

You can get a brand new Weber Genesis II from as little as $699 to as much as $1,899 - they are made in the USA

You would have a hard time selling your Sunbeam for very much when you can buy a brand new one for $160
You haven't used your Sunbeam for 6+ years. It doesn't seem like it would be worth it to sell your Sunbeam as it sounds like it's well taken care of
It doesn't sound like you would use a gasser very much, so my advice is to keep your Sunbeam and use it when you feeling like using a gasser.

I bought a new Genesis a couple years back, not so much for me, but for my wife & daughter. They like to BBQ, but they don't feel like dealing with the charcoal grills. Don't get me wrong, I use it too, but it was mostly so that anyone in my family can BBQ at anytime. From what you're saying, it sounds like you Sunbeam suits you well, why get rid of it, and why spend money to replace it, when it's perfectly fine?

You can buy a brand new Sunbeam 3 burner for $160. A brand new Weber Spirit starts at $399 and goes up to $599 Note: Spirits are not made in the USA

You can get a brand new Weber Genesis II from as little as $699 to as much as $1,899 - they are made in the USA

You would have a hard time selling your Sunbeam for very much when you can buy a brand new one for $160
You haven't used your Sunbeam for 6+ years. It doesn't seem like it would be worth it to sell your Sunbeam as it sounds like it's well taken care of
It doesn't sound like you would use a gasser very much, so my advice is to keep your Sunbeam and use it when you feeling like using a gasser.

I bought a new Genesis a couple years back, not so much for me, but for my wife & daughter. They like to BBQ, but they don't feel like dealing with the charcoal grills. Don't get me wrong, I use it too, but it was mostly so that anyone in my family can BBQ at anytime. From what you're saying, it sounds like you Sunbeam suits you well, why get rid of it, and why spend money to replace it, when it's perfectly fine?

Chuck has some valid points. I think it depends on what your intentions are.
Myself I like bringing old things back to life, especially quality items which the older Weber's are.
The other thing is the grilling experience will be infinitely more positive with an older Weber. Better heat control, minimal hot and cool spots on the grill. I have three gassers all Weber's two of which are 15+ years old, I find them ideal for quick cooks such as burgers, dogs, BSCBs something that takes less than 10-15 minutes to cook. No waiting, very little clean up and I'm not wasting charcoal.
But to Chucks point if it's just going to sit and look pretty keep the Sunbeam.

I must say, the old Sunbeam can grill some great chicken wings, thighs, and legs - although the grill is showing its age. This model has a few internal parts made out of coated carbon steel (galvanized?) that are rusting out, but the burners are made out of stainless steel. It has a single porcelain-coated tent (flavorizer bar) mounted over the burners that is rusting out. The cooking grate is porcelain coated too (wish it were cast iron).

Probably some Carolina wolf spiders residing in there too by now (stink bugs biggest enemy in these parts).

Last edited:
"You can buy a brand new Sunbeam 3 burner for $160. A brand new Weber Spirit starts at $399 and goes up to $599 Note: Spirits are not made in the USA

You can get a brand new Weber Genesis II from as little as $699 to as much as $1,899 - they are made in the USA"

The Webers are not made in the USA any more except for maybe the current Summit line and the "Q" line everything else is either completely made in China or MAY have a couple US parts in it and be "packed" here. Weber is rapidly becoming nothing but an importer.

The Webers are not made in the USA any more except for maybe the current Summit line and the "Q" line everything else is either completely made in China or MAY have a couple US parts in it and be "packed" here. Weber is rapidly becoming nothing but an importer.
That's pretty sad. I remember from the early 60's that Weber was the coveted BBQ to have, and many didn't (my Dad) because they were not cheap. I didn't get my first Weber until I 23 or 24, and it was a gift from my wife on our wedding. Sadly I didn't keep that BBQ because I went to the darkside of the force (gassers) for about 10 years...

I think what LMichaels said is true and that may be why there is such a resurgence in restoring the older Weber's because they were so well made. At least here in Arizona where rust isn't allowed the prices for the Genesis 1-5 and 1000 -5000 are bringing prices for ones in good original condition from $150 for a 1 or 1000 to about $350+ for the 4 & 5s and 4000 & 5000 if you can find one.
Sure you can still find Junkers for under $50 for parts I just bought one, the frame literally fell apart when we put it in the car ( it spent the first 15 years of it's life in California a few blocks from the ocean) but it had a flip up table I needed and less than one year old flavorizer bars, burners and grates for $30.

Used Weber Q grills (gas) seem to be plentiful online. They're a little on the small side though. Are they worth the effort to repair, or would I be better off restoring a red head if I choose to ditch the Sunbeam?

Weber Q's are simply and easy. If you typically cook for just 2-4 people, they are a great choice. But, if you want versatility and total control, you want a regular stand up Weber Genesis or even Spirit.
I have been using a Q100 for about 10 years and that is all I need with just my wife and I, but I am in the process of putting together a Genesis 1000 Redhead that I will be using to smoke fish and other meats as well as rotisserie chicken and others. Something I could never do with a Q grill.

I say grab a cheap Q grill to rehab for quick meals and then start work on that Redhead.

Judging from the Craigslist ads near me, there's a cottage industry for "refurbished" USA-made Webers. Either people are selling refurbed ones or are posting "want to buy" or "will remove old Weber grills" ads all the time.

The "want to buy" ads were what piqued my interest, and the ensuing research for old Webers eventually led me to this forum; this is how ended up with 3 grills and a blossoming collection of spare parts.

Yah, I think it is hard to beat the older Genesis grills for simplicity, durability and performance. Parts are readily available and there are soooo many of those 10-25 grills out there that people giving up just because they don't want to replace the flavo bars or get their hands dirty to clean them out good. They would rather let them go for free or $50 and just buy a new grill.

But, people that know grills will pay good money for a cleaned up, rehabed good old Weber three burner.

Some people on here disparage the Chinese manufactured newer Webers. And it's probably true they aren't quite as sturdy as the older Webers. But it's a matter of degree. IMO they are still well made.

I have 2 different friends that have weber spirits and they cook very well. One is a number of years old and holding up well. I think the new genesis II's are well made as well. At least that's my opinion from looking them over at my local hardware store.

I have 2 old weber genesis i restored and may never wear out. But if I decided to go new i wouldn't hesitate to buy a spirit or new genesis.

Rusty, I'm really a big charcoal guy like you, but restored a Genesis 1000 with the advice of these guys and I love cooking on it. Generally, I use it during the week for quick cooks and go to the charcoal on the weekend when I'm more relaxed. I probably sank about 300 so in it, but putting all that work in it makes me appreciate it more.

Some people on here disparage the Chinese manufactured newer Webers. And it's probably true they aren't quite as sturdy as the older Webers. But it's a matter of degree. IMO they are still well made.

I have 2 different friends that have weber spirits and they cook very well. One is a number of years old and holding up well. I think the new genesis II's are well made as well. At least that's my opinion from looking them over at my local hardware store.

I have 2 old weber genesis i restored and may never wear out. But if I decided to go new i wouldn't hesitate to buy a spirit or new genesis.

A matter of opinion. I have had many chances to look them over next to others and honestly don't see them any better than the other products many less than half the price. Yet Weber has the gall to charge even more like they're some kind of exalted product. Sorry As much as I LOVE my Weber stuff they don't walk on water especially now

Rusty, that one looks ok, but if you are like me you'll get bummed out by the swing table and side table being missing. I bought one missing the swing table that I thought I wouldn't miss and then just had to have one. I've got one now and never use it.

Back