We're gonna need a bigger grill

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Alabama Man Kills Gigantic 820-Pound Hog In His Front Yard

giant-hog.jpg

It took some guts (or maybe a lack of respect) to shoot wild boar with a .38

The pigs we hunt are usually < 200 LBS and I normally use my lever action 30-30, because most the time we're in the brush while hunting them. I've shot pigs more than once with the 30-30 bulls eye lungs & heart, only to have it turn around and stare me down. It is those moments you think "I could be home watching the ballgame." I can't imagine what that pig might have done, had it turned on him after being shot. He should count his blessings

I can't imagine what that pig might have done, had it turned on him after being shot. He should count his blessings

If he was smart he shot it standing in the doorway or out a window for a quick escape if the boar had turned on him. I'm not sure I'd have even attempted that shot with a .38 unless it was truly an emergency.

Believe it or not, our neighbor (years ago) shot his hogs between the eyes with a .22 rifle. He said the trick was to squat down, level up the rifle, and shoot the hog between the eyes. Some tried shooting the hog in the head at an angle, and failed miserably.

We (us boys) got to dig the pit for the innards.

That Alabama hog looks bigger than what we slaughtered though. I accidentally spooked a pen of giant hogs on a hunting trip, and those monsters scared the heck out of me.

Back in the 1970's and early 80's two friends and I would go to a local hog farmer and buy 3 hogs.
Ideal butcher weight is around 250 lbs.
We dispatched them with a .22 caliber rifle, or pistol, with one shot between the eyes.
After dressing they went to a butcher for processing into cuts and sausage.
That is when I got into curing and smoking my own bacon and hams.

I wonder what wild hog tastes like? Considering the natural diet they eat, I would assume the meat would be phenomenal - although, I reckon the meat should be cooked to a higher temp to kill any possible parasites?

I wonder what wild hog tastes like? Considering the natural diet they eat, I would assume the meat would be phenomenal - although, I reckon the meat should be cooked to a higher temp to kill any possible parasites?
Wild boar and feral hogs are better than farm hogs (imho) Like any big game, the secret to it, is cooling the meat as quickly as possible after the kill. It's been awhile since I went pig hunting, but when I did, I just cooked it to 165, as that was the normal done temp for pork, wild or farmed. I pretty much gave up hunting when my son had no interest in it. It's not that he's against hunting, he's just too lazy to hunt. He'd rather go to the butchers, than the field, LOL

Wild boar and feral hogs are better than farm hogs (imho) Like any big game, the secret to it, is cooling the meat as quickly as possible after the kill. It's been awhile since I went pig hunting, but when I did, I just cooked it to 165, as that was the normal done temp for pork, wild or farmed. I pretty much gave up hunting when my son had no interest in it. It's not that he's against hunting, he's just too lazy to hunt. He'd rather go to the butchers, than the field, LOL

Wow, he is missing out on a rite of youth. Most all of my friends grew up hunting and fishing.

As for hunting wild hogs / pigs, I don't know if there are any in my area. I know they're plentiful in the deep south - particularly Texas. I would have loved to bag one though.

I pretty much gave up hunting when my son had no interest in it. It's not that he's against hunting, he's just too lazy to hunt. He'd rather go to the butchers, than the field, LOL

That reminds me of the old joke: Vegetarian: An old Indian word for "bad hunter"...

Wow, he is missing out on a rite of youth. Most all of my friends grew up hunting and fishing
It's a little different in kalifornia. Bow season (Deer) is winding up and Rifle season starts in a couple weeks. We kalifornians hunt in 100+ degrees, it's pretty brutal. He got in a pretty good "rite of youth." He was riding a PW50 before he could ride a peddle bike. He can Snow & Wakeboard like nobody's business. He got in a most interesting childhood. I can't blame him for not getting into hunting, it's no fun in kalifornia

Last edited:
It's a little different in kalifornia. Bow season (Deer) is winding up and Rifle season starts in a couple weeks. We kalifornians hunt in 100+ degrees, it's pretty brutal. He got in a pretty good "rite of youth." He was riding a PW50 before he could ride a peddle bike. He can Snow & Wakeboard like nobody's business. He got in a most interesting childhood. I can't blame him for not getting into hunting, it's no fun in kalifornia

Understood. The geography and climate is much different out that way compared to here.

In Michigan where we have a cabin they have signs up in the places you buy your hunting licenses telling people that you can shoot a feral hog with any kind of license and there is no season. I haven't even heard of any in Michigan but the DNR isn't taking any chances on them. I'd shoot one in a heartbeat with whatever I had.

BTW - Several people have posted the thing about shooting hogs with a .22 rifle or pistol. I don't doubt that it's possible to do that, and even very effective. But shooting a domestic hog that is standing still looking at you and shooting a feral monster hog in your front yard is a totally different animal. Ha, ha, see what I did there. ;-)

BTW - Several people have posted the thing about shooting hogs with a .22 rifle or pistol. I don't doubt that it's possible to do that, and even very effective. But shooting a domestic hog that is standing still looking at you and shooting a feral monster hog in your front yard is a totally different animal. Ha, ha, see what I did there. ;-)

Yep, bigger ammo needed for sure.

Hunting wild hogs to eat you need a lic. To just kill them, no lic. Around the centrsl valley and sierra foothills are getting slim on anything to hunt. And you better not be on a ranchers land without permission. Also make sure what area you are in. If condor area you must use non lead ammo. And make sure all your firearms have non lead ammo.

Back