Two Weeks and 770 Miles, Three Grills, Still not Happy.

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Finally finished my redhead, well sort of.
Got the final part on today, the flip up shelf. The grill looks okay for the condition it was in, except for the Durawood which was so stained that it just wouldn’t clean up.
My green 2000 looks fantastic with the Durawood, this one not so much.
Kind of disappointing because all the work Barb and I put into this thing.
Plus driving 520 miles round trip to Las Vegas to get the redhead and 250 miles round trip to get the donor grill from Phoenix for needed parts.
The frame is from my green 1000 LX, the tub and top are from the original redhead and the shelf and flip up are from a donner grill along with the almost new FBs and burners and the CI grate.
I may get some wood and make new slates, but have other projects calling me now
I know some of you saw the before pictures of the redhead before we started, it wasn’t pretty.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?71031-Last-Restore-Ever-1996-Red-Head-Genesis

Here's a few pics of the final product.
36047706855_222d19a85e_z.jpg

36047706865_db411f0b47_c.jpg

36047706875_445b4fd3dd_z.jpg

Oh well sometimes you’re the bug and sometimes you get to be the windshield.
36047706885_515a263209_z.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great, Rich!

Wondering what a little teak oil would do to that wood...

Good afternoon Barb & Rich, what a great job you've done on that Redhead. The two of you should be very proud of your self's. Wood slates would really put the finishing touch to that beauty. Thanks for sharing folks.

Bill

Last edited:
That grill looks good to me. Now it's time to put it to use. Watch how the color changes when it gets hot. Mine goes from red when it's cool to almost a maroon color when it is at 600 degrees.

Rich, remember there is a degree you can get to, then with use the perfection declines. It's all uphill. But that is a beautiful grill that you should be proud of!

I say, take the time to do new wood slats. I have a redhead and the top shelf has rotted out wood and the swing table was missing. I found a donor grill with the durawood swing table and top table and lid handle. I still plan to put it all back to real wood.

Sure looks good to me Rich. You could always rip some cedar slats and handle if the durawood stains bother you.

That is what I am gonna do. HD sells "dog eared" fence panels. They are just slightly thicker than the grill slats which works out perfectly since they will need sanding to get them looking good. The fence panels are only a few bucks each and or or two would be plenty for the side table and drop down table. I am going to do a handle with it as well.

Back