Burgers in some cooler weather

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Headed down to the Bay Area for a couple days. Had some smash burgers to kick off being in some cooler weather. Only had my small CI Skillet so I had to smash them one at a time. Came out OK. Nice crust. Here's a few pic's.

The usual stuff, all except for the mustard and ketchup. Case uses the Portland brand quite a bit so when we were in Ashland a couple of weeks ago I picked up a couple bottles of each. Ended up not using any ketchup on this cook, but did the mustard and it's outstanding.

enhance

Got the pan nice and hot.

enhance

They don't smash as well on the cast iron as they do on the steel griddle. With the griddle I practically have to chisel them off with a sharp, sturdy spatula. These released quite easily, but still had a nice crust.

enhance

Some deli cheddar on mine.

enhance

I had a double and my wife a single, hers with Swiss.

enhance

Of course some of these.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Love these Smash Burgers. Love temperatures around 80 degrees too. Happy Hump Day everone. Thanks for looking!

1. Where in the Bay Area do you go when you are down here?
2. Where's the pizza?
3. Go Giants!
4. Those burgers are KILLER! Nice work!

R

Thank you Rich!

1. Petaluma
2. In the rear view mirror.
3. I'm not sure "where" they're going, except supposedly to resign Sandoval tomorrow. Has me really bummed out.
4. Thanks Rich. Still thinking about that Porterhouse you did!

:)

1. Damn, not close enough to share a beer.
2. Until you make two lefts, then they are in the windshield again.
3. Sandoval.....ugh.
4. Me, too! ;)

They don't smash as well on the cast iron as they do on the steel griddle. With the griddle I practically have to chisel them off with a sharp, sturdy spatula. These released quite easily, but still had a nice crust
Good to know. Burgers & Tater Tots look quite nice.

Hey bout' them Giants? 2 in a row!!! You'd think there was a trade deadline in 11 days???! Was I seeing something or did princess pence actually catch a ball yesterday?

Beautiful burgers and tasty lookin' tots, Cliff! Don't get much better than that. Glad you were able to get away from the extreme heat for awhile.

Gorgeous photos as well. Curious what camera and lens combo you are using these days?

Last edited:
Burgers look terrific Cliff. Cooler here today with the monsoons moving in. Took the pup for her morning run at 6am this morning and it was really cold about 49 degrees, felt wonderful.

Cliff, those burgers and tots look fantastic. Glad you were able to get to cooler weather.

Simply Smashing cook Cliff!
in the hundreds here for a few days, enjoy some of that weather for me too please. :cool:

Cliff, if you are trying to make a commercial for smashed burgers, you've succeeded. Everything looks great.

Good to see some of you getting a break from the heat. Unfortunately, it's headed our way for a spell. I had to replace the radiator cooling fan assembly in our car yesterday. The AC works much better now.

Back