Placement of smoke wood?

Steve in Cincy

"Distribute the wood chunks evenly over the surface of the lit charcoal after putting the meat in the cooker."

I've seen the above advice in a few different places. My question is, how can you get wood chunks spread evenly over the surface of the charcoal AFTER the meat is on the grills? It seems the only option would be through the lower trap door, but I can't see how that gets done. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

If you insist on putting the wood on only after the meat is on, open the door and use a pair of (hot dog for example) tongs to put the wood in. As it's usually only three chunks, putting them equidistant apart is not needed. Put them (separated if you like) in place as best you can.

IT DOESN'T MATTER ! Just get them in there and close the door. Don't overthink this. It's not that important.

"Distribute the wood chunks evenly over the surface of the lit charcoal after putting the meat in the cooker."

I've seen the above advice in a few different places. My question is, how can you get wood chunks spread evenly over the surface of the charcoal AFTER the meat is on the grills? It seems the only option would be through the lower trap door, but I can't see how that gets done. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm still a relative newbie, but I'm guessing that whoever wrote that advice wasn't being very deliberate in their writing. I'm pretty sure most of us set up the coals, add lit coals, add smoke wood (or swap those last two), add the smoke chamber, then meat, then lid. You're right, it would have to be done through the door if you did it after putting the meat on...which would require long tongs and more frustration than I think is necessary. :)

Happy smoking!!!

Steve: I get where you're coming from. When I first started brewing beer I asked my son-in-law to come over and "hold my hand" through my first time too. :eek: Within 6 months my knowledge surpassed his. Now it's 23 years later...

Unfortunately, writing step-by-step instructions takes longer than actually describing the process. LOL!

Most of us just dump the charcoal in, adjust as necessary, and lay the wood chunks around on the (unlit) coals before assembling the smoker. This gives the smoker time to heat up without burning any wood.

My wood goes in before I assemble the WSM. I keep things simple for my simple mind. :wsm: You'll find what works for you very quickly.

My wood chunks get buried within the unlit charcoal.

Same here, but mine are placed on the grate before filling the ring with coals.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is no set way of adding smoke wood, Steve. Try all of our suggestions and see what works best for you.

Last edited:
I just throw the wood on top of the coals via the door with tongs just after I add my meat. Not a big deal.

Back